I don't know how ppl can say if a $28m penthouse is not better than other penthouse either in this city or elsewhere since they have yet to be in one as well see what the views are like from them.

The view will be roughly the same as you'd get from a top floor $3000/month rental unit at the Manulife Centre, minus the grocery store, bookstore and movie theatre below.

They could build that penthouse out of gold and it wouldn't be worth close to $28-million in my opinion. On a single floor, with minimal terrace space, lumped in with the riff raff that the hotel will very likely be attracting 6.5 days a week....no thanks.

Though I will not comment on FS pricing, I will say that DESIGN and QUALITY are two entirely separate factors in a building. I agree with CN Tower's assertion that this building's design is neither complex nor exceptional. It is obviously a box, and though the dimensions are appealing, I believe that the developers were aiming for a high quality tower rather than one with exceptional or game changing design. The way they achieved this is by utilizing very high quality cladding instead of large amounts of setbacks or a unique concept encased in poor cladding (ex. Brookfield Place).

I for one, consider this to be arguably the most "boring" higher end buildings to go up in this city recently. This does not detract from the beauty of the building however, as boring need not be inferior. This is a prime example of a simple concept executed extremely well.

TL;DR: CN Tower's design arguments are entirely understandable. Pricing is a different story, as it is much more dependent on the indoor quality of the building.

Last edited:
This Yorkville penthouse is 9,000 square feet with a great layout, it has 850 sq. feet of outdoor space via four balconies/terraces, 12 foot ceilings, a private entrance separate from the hotel plus a shared vehicular drop off entrance with hotel, direct elevator access plus all the benefits and amenities of living above a five star hotel. $28M may be a stretch, but it sure beats most (everything?) that is out there in the Toronto condo market.

The view will be roughly the same as you'd get from a top floor $3000/month rental unit at the Manulife Centre, minus the grocery store, bookstore and movie theatre below.

They could build that penthouse out of gold and it wouldn't be worth close to $28-million in my opinion. On a single floor, with minimal terrace space, lumped in with the riff raff that the hotel will very likely be attracting 6.5 days a week....no thanks.

I forgot to add, would I pay $28m to live there and my answer would be no. I would spend that money on something else thats not high price wise. Based on other building been built, where they are, $15m top at best here and that pushing it.

When one has their own elevator, they will not see the so call riff raft you stated and find that hard to see riff raft there. Sound like you expect to see ppl showing up in PJ, short, sandles, poorly dress who are either living here or staying there. If I had that kind of money, I may dress better than I do today, but shorts are in for me at this time. I don't wear a chain (tie) around my neck unless I really have to all year round, as I really hate wearing one.

I don't get why people hate every single box tower that goes up in the city.... Not everything HAS to be non-box. just imagine a skyline with no boxes at all, things would be a mess, everything out of sync, etc...
boxes are fine if done well, and the price/exclusivity has nothing to do with the design of the building (and on whether it is worth the money)

I don't get why people hate every single box tower that goes up in the city.... Not everything HAS to be non-box. just imagine a skyline with no boxes at all, things would be a mess, everything out of sync, etc...
boxes are fine if done well, and the price/exclusivity has nothing to do with the design of the building (and on whether it is worth the money)

Steveve,

I think you need to learn to appreciate the distinction between a dramatic and powerful word such as 'hate' and what I intended as mere critical analysis and discussion in my limited scope as an amateur (at best) architecture fan.

Last edited:
I forgot to add, would I pay $28m to live there and my answer would be no. I would spend that money on something else thats not high price wise. Based on other building been built, where they are, $15m top at best here and that pushing it.

When one has their own elevator, they will not see the so call riff raft you stated and find that hard to see riff raft there. Sound like you expect to see ppl showing up in PJ, short, sandles, poorly dress who are either living here or staying there. If I had that kind of money, I may dress better than I do today, but shorts are in for me at this time. I don't wear a chain (tie) around my neck unless I really have to all year round, as I really hate wearing one.

I'm more riff raff than penthouse myself.

A third of that $28m should effectively buy just about any condo residence that this city has to offer.

One might expect more design exuberance with more money. Or at least a design with some more visual identity than yet another page of a glass cladding catalogue. With the Four Seasons, the proportions are good as well as the massing, and the cladding is great. But that's where the architecture seems to stop, save for the minor fins at the top.

There are too many unjustified complaints about glass boxes, yet there should always be some clear visual identity and expression of creativity in each design. We'll see lots of new infill projects, and the city where every building shows some creative flourishes is the city whose appearance suggests creativity, ambition, and greatness.

In response to the architecture of the Four Seasons, one can't simply say that not every building in a city can be a brilliant landmark. This city could use a lot more creative infill in terms of new construction, not just a dichotomy of landmark versus completely forgettable infill. Yet the Four Seasons is one of the most expensive and prominent developments in the city. It's going to be a landmark, yet its architecture doesn't seem to recognize that fact.

Last edited:
I saw a guy just infront of me with a fancy camera taking pics of the Four Seasons also, maybe he's from urbantoronto too lol.
Taken earlier today:
5843396946_2952b93b18_b.jpg

5843398724_03059d1679_b.jpg

Hmmm. the top of the building looks extremely flat, i'm starting to think that the cladding will add a fin effect, just because it looks too flat.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Yorkville penthouse is 9,000 square feet with a great layout, it has 850 sq. feet of outdoor space via four balconies/terraces, 12 foot ceilings, a private entrance separate from the hotel plus a shared vehicular drop off entrance with hotel, direct elevator access plus all the benefits and amenities of living above a five star hotel. $28M may be a stretch, but it sure beats most (everything?) that is out there in the Toronto condo market.

Don't forget the second unit in the 25-storey tower for the housekeeper ;)

Back