The renders indicated about 4 stories.

This looks awesome, although it's location next to the large glass canopy feels a little awkward. It feels like the canopy should be about 2/3 as long as it is.

It does look a little bit too close to the canopy. Where is the base of the fountain, to catch the water? Hopefully, it's coming soon.

The renders indicated about 4 stories.

This looks awesome, although it's location next to the large glass canopy feels a little awkward. It feels like the canopy should be about 2/3 as long as it is.

I agree; the fountain is too close to the canopy. If one were to climb up the canopy they could do a cannonball into the lower bowl.

Torontovibe said:
Where is the base of the fountain, to catch the water? Hopefully, it's coming soon.

They may not install a basin because I think the water is going to splash unto the paving stones because it looks like there are four drainage grates surrounding the base of the fountain.

4seasftn2.jpg

The fountain looks great (a red broach on an otherwise black dress).

And thanks for the pictures. I cant stop staring. (and please keep them coming tonight).

( I can see the water being a problem in a windy day...but what do I care. I just get to enjoy the aesthetics.)

Last edited:
I agree; the fountain is too close to the canopy. If one were to climb up the canopy they could do a cannonball into the lower bowl.

I thought the same thing when I saw the concrete base, but I think part of it is that we're seeing pictures taken from above and looking to the west, which makes the fountain appear closer than it actually is. If you see it from ground level it still looks close, but not nearly as awkward

^ Great update! Thank you. All your updates are awesome actually!
I really appreciate the gesture of including a fountain but for some reason, it isn't working for me. Maybe it's the red or the details but it clashes with the rest of the project. Maybe that was the point but personally, I think a more contemporary fountain would have looked better.
What happens in the winter? I guess they turn it off and it collects snow?

I really appreciate the gesture of including a fountain but for some reason, it isn't working for me. Maybe it's the red or the details but it clashes with the rest of the project. Maybe that was the point but personally, I think a more contemporary fountain would have looked better.

I think it strikes the perfect note of high camp.

Whether or not the color of the fountain works for people is kind of secondary to me. I think what matters is the overall form. It wouldn't be hard to repaint it a different colour some time down the road.

I think it works very well with the sequence of buildings along that stretch of Yorkville. Janet Rosenberg's formal garden - a modern reinterpretation of the traditional patterning of the French parterre - links 18 Yorkville with the Classically-inspired Library, and the outrageous red fountain is an inspired yet appropriate design link to the adjacent Victorian fire hall.

Awesome Cal! You picked up right where I left off. I was feeling guilty about leaving (the workers took a break and I had a lot of ground to cover), but I'm relieved to see you captured the next step of assembly

Back