Re: Four Seasons Design

This year, eight new super-luxury projects are scheduled to launch, with five located in the gilded and glam Yorkville neighbourhood northwest of Bloor and Yonge Streets.

Five launching in Yorkville?...o.k., let's see, Four Seasons, 77 Charles, maybe that one on Davenport....there must be more in the pipeline?...:hat

note the usual scepticism about Trump....hopefully we will see a construction start soon...

...and a Cumberland Terrace redevelopment? I may get on my knees to pray for that one.

Oh yeah, and then there's the Museum Tower, right across Bloor from the ROM, and also the new condos to be built above the Torno penthouse.

Hmm. Maybe no Cumberland Terrace relaunch this year.

the addtion on top of the Torno penthouse has started construction

yyz:

Another possiblity would be the University apartments site across from 1 St. Thomas.

AoD

the addtion on top of the Torno penthouse has started construction

Are you serious, I'll just have to look right now.

From PCL Construction:

Current Progress

(as of Feb. 1/07)

The reinforcing stage of the existing 14-storey building is now underway. Demolition and asbestos abatement are complete along the east perimeter wall on Levels 3 and 4. Demolition and abatement are underway on Level 5. Structural steel reinforcing is complete on Level 3 and underway on Level 4 at the east perimeter wall. Mechanical and electrical re-routing is underway on Level 3. Footing excavation has started within the basement level along with the installation of the first micropile (test pile only).

Project Description

This project consists of reinforcing the structural steel core of an occupied 14-storey building, thereby providing capacity to add 6 new residential floors. Existing floors 11 and 12 will be converted from office to residential. The current two-storey residential penthouse on levels 13 and 14 will remain. The 6 new levels that are being added will include shell space for 9 new residential suites. The new levels will be made up of structural steel with concrete on metal deck. The envelope will consist of a combination of curtain wall and limestone. The existing elevators within the building will be replaced and reconfigured to serve the new levels. Mechanical heating and cooling systems will be replaced with the existing distribution systems being reefed. Current electrical supply will be upgraded to a high voltage feed with new distribution being provided throughout the building. The ground floor will be reconfigured to provide additional retail space.

Visit www.155cumberland.com/ to view the condominium website.

canada.pcl.com/projects/A...index.aspx

AoD

Hmm- I'm thinking now that this will take second place to the Ritz design.

I'm thinking now that this will take third place to the Ritz and ShangriLa designs.

Four Seasons will still be able to advertise "despite dumbing-down the design, still triumphs over tacky Trump".

How do you know if was "dumbed down"?... all that has been publically available were artists renderings, which are not construction drawings or blueprints.

There is a huge diference beteen what was originally advertised with this project and the latest artistic rendering.

They have dumbed down the design to be sure. My opinion is tha artists and designers had minimal say in the final incarnation. It shows.

Unless someone has inside knowledge of the project the only judgements articulated here have been made based on a couple different renderings which each have their own flavour and artistic interpretation of the project. These renderings are looking at the project from the 30,000 foot level and don't contain any level of detail on the development.

Design elements have changed due to heights being altered, but it's not clear as to what materials are being used or if the construction costs per square foot have changed. So I still don't see how based on looking at a couple drawings by an artist that one can determine that a few hundred million dollar project has been 'dumbed down'.

Edit: I'm not saying the project hasn't been 'dumbed down' - I'm just inquiring as to whether anyone knows it has for a fact or if they are just making assumptions based on seeing an extremely vague preliminary rendering when negotiations with the city and community were ongoing and comparing that to the most recent couple of renderings... all of which are done by artists and are not actual working drawings nor say anything about the quality of materials planned for the project. Making judgements based on renderings isn't a very good way of deciding a project has undergone significant changes to reduce the quality of the final product.

The article has several gleaming errors in it, which for me reduces its credibility.

As for the Four Seasons design, I think the rendering is pointless. The finished product is what really matters and until then, its hard to say how average it will look.

I wish the crowns were as pronounced as they were with the renderings given to the city.

A model suite is currently under construction on the site

...they've been building the sales centre since August of last year. The amount of detail that's going into it is absolutely staggering. I'll definitely visit the sales centre once it opens to see the model of the building.

Sales centre looks like it will open soon. Working on the landscaping outside.

On a related note, the hoarding around Hazelton is coming down.

JG

Back