In light of the fun w/historical photos over in the Davenport Diamond Separation thread.......

I've been trying to find pics of this site before it was Galleria Mall.

I can find aerials w/o issue; but I was aiming for street level.

Turns out this site had many industrial incarnations, I believe its last, pre-mall, was as a Dodge/Chrysler factory.

I was curious if any part of the mall was repurposed from said buildings, as la Shopper's World Danforth, or if the site was clean-slated for the mall.

In light of the fun w/historical photos over in the Davenport Diamond Separation thread.......

I've been trying to find pics of this site before it was Galleria Mall.

I can find aerials w/o issue; but I was aiming for street level.

Turns out this site had many industrial incarnations, I believe its last, pre-mall, was as a Dodge/Chrysler factory.

I was curious if any part of the mall was repurposed from said buildings, as la Shopper's World Danforth, or if the site was clean-slated for the mall.
TIL that it was a Dodge/Chrysler factory. I know I've seen it marked as the Dominion Radiator Factory on Goad's maps. I think I did a deep dive through various archives a while back trying to find photos of the site (as a radiator factory) and came up empty-handed.

TIL that it was a Dodge/Chrysler factory. I know I've seen it marked as the Dominion Radiator Factory on Goad's maps. I think I did a deep dive through various archives a while back trying to find photos of the site (as a radiator factory) and came up empty-handed.

From Wikipedia:

1674154753440.png

Dodge Brother in 1925 and then Chrysler in 1928. Historically, Toronto was predominantly a blue collar industrial city. Our white collar professional reality is a rather recent development.

Fun fact from the HIA for Hullmark's Radiator project:
In 1907-1908, Dominion vacated the Site [on Dufferin south of Queen] in favour of a new, larger complex designed by E.J Lennox, located at Dufferin and Dupont Streets

And it seems the factory suffered a major fire in 1925:
BIG_FACTORY_PLANT_ON_DUFFERIN_.jpg

I wonder whether the fire hastened its transition from a radiator factory to a car factory?

Sadly, still couldn't find any photos.

Dare I say, Galleria 3 is gorgeous. Tastes are different but instinctively when something looks good it is hard to deny, regardless of taste. I wish there was a bar set for quality of design and esthetics in this city, It must affect people's mental well being (they should do a study on this). Can the quality of design and esthetics be regulated? 🧐.

Dare I say, Galleria 3 is gorgeous. Tastes are different but instinctively when something looks good it is hard to deny, regardless of taste. I wish there was a bar set for quality of design and esthetics in this city, It must affect people's mental well being (they should do a study on this). Can the quality of design and esthetics be regulated? 🧐.
The only aspects of the exterior that the City can regulate effectively is the performance of the materials re: resistance to fire, thermal properties, etc, qualities that can be measured essentially. The City cannot mandate aesthetics beyond that... as demonstrated by much of what goes up!

Does anyone know if they've leased out the commercial space in the first tower that's going up? It's a huge open space right now.

Back