Catching up. A couple of Garrison Point sunset photos from Sunday evening, January 16, prior to the start of the snow storm.

20220116_172025.jpg

20220116_172033.jpg

New Park at 10 Ordnance Street

A new park is coming to Spadina-Fort York as part of condominium development at Garrison Point. The new 2.2 ha (5.5 acres) park will be located at 10 Ordnance St Opens in new window., near Strachan Avenue and Wellington Street. This project will also consider potential improvements to the new park at 801 Wellington St. W Opens in new window., at the north landing of Garrison Crossing.

Project Timeline

• Summer/Fall 2022: Hire a design team
  • Fall/Winter 2022: Community engagement
  • Winter 2022 to Fall 2023 Design development and detailed design
  • Winter 2023: Hire a construction team
  • Spring 2024 to Spring 2025: Park construction
  • Spring 2025: Construction complete, park opens
The timeline is subject to change.

About the Project

The two new park locations, along with the Garrison Crossing bridges, are part of a system that will better connect new and existing communities to the waterfront. The east section of 10 Ordnance Street Park will be used in the coming years by Metrolinx during the construction of the Ontario Line.

Construction in the park will be phased to accommodate the Metrolinx work.

While we aim to provide fully accessible content, there is no text alternative available for some of the content on this site. If you require alternate formats or need assistance understanding our maps, drawings, or any other content, please contact Kaly Tobe at 416-338-6641.

ordn.JPG

I wish the lower units here were retail/commercial/other public/community-facing uses with a public square/POPs connecting up to the future park.

With these bridges being such a major connecting point and the park being a future public space, this area feels like it needs something more to animate it and make it a place to go and it would be a perfect place to provide services or food, etc. for the future park. Sometimes I go across these bridges for the view, but getting to them is kind of out of the way (especially on the south side) and they feel like they kind of go to nowhere, besides the view. The park in the future will draw people, but it just feels like a missed opportunity to both service that park and create a new urban area that draws people there and animates the space. Instead we have ground floor town home style residential, which just feels like an odd inward-facing fit for this spot.

Ground floor retail, food, services, etc. could also serve all the new residents in these buildings in a local way that doesn't involve walking out on the hostile Strachan streetscape and crossing into other areas of the city.

(I don't think I'd really even want to live in a ground floor unit like this in this kind of public-facing nexus location — for privacy reasons especially — though I suppose the view when you walk out your front door to take your dog can pee in the park grass makes it worth it.)

Maybe they could be converted in the future.

Back