Which of the four finalist design teams' concept do you prefer?

• Moriyama & Teshima Architects + Acton Ostry Architects

• Patkau Architects + MJMA

• Provencher Roy + Turner Fleischer

• Shigeru Ban + Brook McIlroy

Results are only viewable after voting.
The more of these shades in out urban fabric - the better. I think Sixty Colborne might have started this trend back in the day, showing that bold colors of the orange-copper-metallic variety manage to create a warm and welcoming allure among the sea of cold glass boxes and grey spandrel galore. I'm glad it didn't go unnoticed and more and more projects start to venture in this direction. Some examples off the top of of my head: Aqualuna, St. Lawrence Market North, elements of The Well (though some of these are executed better than others).

The most pleasant parts of the city on a snowy winter day are often those where the built form has a lot of warm and vibrant organic colours. They really stand out on cloudy winter days.

I'm thinking of the Victorian parts of the city where the buildings were built of red, orange, yellow, and brown bricks with orange terracotta accents. It would be great to acknowledge the psychological value of that colour palette more often in large contemporary buildings.

Perhaps most importantly, it FITS into the area. Too often architects design 'great buildings' without thinking of how they will fit!

Nov 18

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

I'm not sure if this has been posted before.

Links from Introba's website

Zero Carbon - very cool building HVAC/energy simulation.

A few snippets from the video.
(My first time posting from a PC. So much easier than my phone or ipad. Who knew?
1700860710661.png

1700860799167.png

1700860858247.png

1700860907364.png

Construction time lapse progress. 2 minutes of drone video and toping off.

about: Self promotion

My impression of this project is that while they didn't choose the most sophisticated and groundbreaking design, the Shigeru Ban design, they went with something they had the means to execute well, at least on the exterior. The building has sophisticated and eye-pleasing cladding and most of the depicted design elements.

There was no apparent naivety or deception on George Brown College's and the architects' parts as to what could be accomplished from a design standpoint with the budget the client had. The same can't be said about a significant portion of major projects in Toronto (both public and private), where the clients end up demanding significant value engineering.

Back