Lovely inside and out. Enjoy the interior shots while you can; once the students are in, it'll never look this pristine again. ;)

For anyone too lazy to click a link:
from the pdf

tT35x.jpg

In some pictures with dimmer light and greater distance the corrugated portions look like textured concrete (like the back of City Hall) and the light inside the windows gives of a nice glow. In those conditions the building looks great. However in other bright light conditions the building looks awful with what looks like cheap siding and green glass windows.

Photos taken 5 September 2012. This building is fantastic! Bright and full of natural daylight with flowing public spaces that are easy to navigate. I also noticed that the western edge of Sherbourne Commons was acting as a natural extension of the school with dozens of students on the benches along the north-south path and around the water feature to the north of the pavillion; the same can be said about the already active promenade along the water's edge and this should be further enhanced when boulevard tables and chairs are put out in what are currently empty spaces along the southern edge of the building. The highlight of this outing was the outdoor roof garden/cafe that gives the best view of the eastern part of the Inner Harbour yet from East Bayfront; the Portlands from there seem much closer and accessible. For me this is a very urban place. My only regret is that the Lake was filled with silt thus was muddy brown in the shots. Next week I will post photos of the western side of the building which contains classrooms and offices as well as inside the auditoriums and the extensive green roofs.

More interior shots

2012-09-05-143657-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-143843-HDR-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-143946-HDR-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-144048-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-144341-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-144548-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-144603-HDR-X2.jpg

2012-09-05-150030-X2.jpg

Outdoor shots

2012-09-05-145235-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-145253-X2.jpg

2012-09-05-143220-X2.jpg

2012-09-05-143146-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-142940-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-151025-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-151013-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-145634-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-145049-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-145335-XL.jpg

2012-09-05-145306-XL.jpg

panorama-X3.jpg

panorama-1-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Ur welcome AoD :D
but the real thanks should go to my friend for putting up with my 4 and a half hour wild goose chase.

Love it, absolutely yes. I will concede that this building is not particularly beautiful, but it sure is engaging from a pedestrian level. I'm always deferential to architecture which takes into account the human element over any other grand stylistic gesture. The massing is not overpowering, I love the ground-level transparency, the building is consistent with Corus, and the surrounding parks make for a really nice experience. The building's setting, on an artificial pier against a foreboding lake, port-facilities in the distance, modernist interventions nearby, makes for an experience which is uniquely Torontonian, in a very contemporary fashion.

Thanks someMidTowne great pictures, even the corrugated metal cladding amphitheater looks OK on the picture.

Also thanks rdaner for the great interior and roof pictures, love the large open public spaces.

Really great shots, will have to get back down to that beer-themed restaurant. It would be wonderful if we got some news about Safdie's sales stats. It that succeeds, the neighbourhood reaches critical mass.

Had to drop by the Queen's Quay LCBO so I walked over to check it out.

First off, the interior. Truly breathtaking. I have never been in a waterfront building where you felt so connected to the lake. Sitting on the bench through the second floor windows I realized I was experiencing the lake in a whole new way.

The exterior and grounds looked high quality and well maintained. The only problem I had were with those unfortunate concrete maple leaf designs along the waterfront promenade. A bit tacky.

All in all, really pleased. Definitely humanizes the central-east waterfront.

Had to drop by the Queen's Quay LCBO so I walked over to check it out.

First off, the interior. Truly breathtaking. I have never been in a waterfront building where you felt so connected to the lake. Sitting on the bench through the second floor windows I realized I was experiencing the lake in a whole new way.

The exterior and grounds looked high quality and well maintained. The only problem I had were with those unfortunate concrete maple leaf designs along the waterfront promenade. A bit tacky.

All in all, really pleased. Definitely humanizes the central-east waterfront.

:confused:
They are neither concrete nor tacky... but to each his own I suppose.

Back