• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
I'm certain this will merely be an unseen layer beneath the final cladding they'll cover the east and west walls with. It's pretty obvious from ProjectEnd's photos on the previous page where the window panels and aluminum meet the side that they aren't leaving these "blocks" uncovered.
The flashing is going on the front to cover where the window panels and aluminum meet. The glued on faux cement block panels are indeed the final finish.

Still don't know about the eastern wall's cladding but this embarrassing moment is still there front and center:

April.13.2009%20030.jpg

April.13.2009%20031.jpg

April.13.2009%20032.jpg

out of my head!!

Just finished reading the thread and now have 2 permanent images in my head....

concrete over car :eek:
blown open "blocks" :confused:

I actually like the curve of the "balcony" at the back tho, but the building itself seems too bottom heavy IMO.. guess it's just cuz there's nothing on the East side..

Considering the treatment of the east and west walls, I'm guessing it's safe to assume that they won't be painting those balconies either.

Still don't know about the eastern wall's cladding but this embarrassing moment is still there front and center

I've seen several buildings now with the same finish. The only one I can positively name though is 533 Richmond.

Coming from the east on Queen, this project is a disaster. Way to go, Brad J. Lamb.

You may have a point regarding the west side but the east side will eventually be covered up. Throwing more money of the building's budget at it is pointless.

^I agree. Unlike, say, Spacing types who oppose advertising at all costs I consider wall ads to be part of the architectural fabric of the city. I love those giant painted wall advertisements and I think it would be a great way to kill two birds with one stone: covering up an ugly wall and generating some revenue at the same time.

Look, the sides of this building will be panel-clad; I guarantee it.

Will they remove the existing cladding?

I'm certain this will merely be an unseen layer beneath the final cladding they'll cover the east and west walls with.

You think the existing cladding is like a "primer" ? ;)

Last edited:
Will they remove the existing cladding?

You think the existing cladding is like a "primer" ? ;)
Looks like I was wrong about this one, but I was right about the Hyatt reno!

As long as they are interesting advertisements I think it's cool, no? I wouldn't want to see a giant BJL billboard up there, but that City tv truck smashing out the side of 299 Queen is iconic. The Paul Willison Motors swinging lady is another example... something to that effect up there could be a tourist attraction.

Come to think of it, maybe they could have a waterfall display up there, stained grey, as an homage to the concrete that spewed all over that van.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back