On my training runs to North bay meets it was usually timed so that the northbound met the southbound at Brechin Siding... on the Bala sub the signal masts are still there but turned and off now.. there is also a switcher at Huntsville but it's a small multitrack yard there
Do you mean the Newmarket sub?

Do you mean the Newmarket sub?

Brechin is on the Bala Sub. Confusingly, the Newmarket Sub has two disconnected sections: from Parkdale to Allandale (now owned entirely by Metrolinx) and from Washago to North Bay. The Newmarket Sub was built by the Northern Railway of Canada (later absorbed by the Grand Trunk), and the Bala was built later by the Canadian Northern Railway (apart from a small section near Beaverton, but that’s a long story).

The Bala Sub runs from the Lower Don to Capreol, northeast of Sudbury, and is continuous. It meets the northern section of the Newmarket at Washago.

The Newmarket Sub was severed in 1996 when CN decided to save money by having a single Toronto-Washago route, without the swing bridge just east of Orillia.

Last edited:
Sorry for a bit OT but where does one find a reference, like a map, for all these "subs"? I see them mentioned frequently as if people are just supposed to know which ones are which. It would be nice to be able to check what the conversation is about.

Sorry for a bit OT but where does one find a reference, like a map, for all these "subs"? I see them mentioned frequently as if people are just supposed to know which ones are which. It would be nice to be able to check what the conversation is about.

The RAC's Canadian Rail Atlas is a great source - just zoom in and click on a line.

There is also (unpaid plug) the Bytown Railway Society's Canadian Trackside Guide - which has more information than you will ever want about railway lines and equipment in this country. It's a superb reference guide. Is published annually.

- Paul

Second last two spans are in place:
C2AE16B1-F40B-4CC5-B56D-5C16D2E5AA16.jpeg
228F8876-385A-4901-AC3F-DCF29B421509.jpeg

I'm looking at the gap between the tops of the pillars and the underside of the spans and thinking...... OMG....pigeons......

Hopefully those ledges will be screened.

- Paul

It's a single, flat, surface, not two separated track surfaces. They've started to pour the connecting piece(s) further south.
I was thinking of the flat top of the round piers.... most bridges have those nooks and crannies screened off

- Paul

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 6.27.22 PM.png

- Paul

I'm looking at the gap between the tops of the pillars and the underside of the spans and thinking...... OMG....pigeons......

Hopefully those ledges will be screened.

- Paul

There's a simple solution, just set up a Peregrine nest at @ProjectEnd 's place. No more pigeons.

Back