I would believe the more recent statement. I can't believe CP would ever let ML get their hands on the CP tracks. CP will no doubt invoice ML, and perhaps they will use ML's contractor to do the work..... but they will control and schedule the work to their convenience.

- Paul
Right, makes sense. The controlling and scheduling being up to CP would sound about right since they own the tracks.
Either way, hopefully sooner than later. Looking forward to the switchover this weekend. The rep in person was still calling this weekends switch tentative which I thought was funny but I guess anything can happen.

I would believe the more recent statement. I can't believe CP would ever let ML get their hands on the CP tracks. CP will no doubt invoice ML, and perhaps they will use ML's contractor to do the work..... but they will control and schedule the work to their convenience.

- Paul

Not sure why ML would have to pay for the diamond’s removal. CP is the junior on the diamond, as the Newmarket Sub was built in 1853, while the Ontario & Quebec was built neatly 30 years after.

Not sure why ML would have to pay for the diamond’s removal. CP is the junior on the diamond, as the Newmarket Sub was built in 1853, while the Ontario & Quebec was built neatly 30 years after.

I was told some time ago (by an ML staffer who I know to be knowledgeable) that somewhere along the line, CP negotiated to acquire the seniority rights for the diamond…. No doubt fearing that (as is happening) GO service would increase at their peril.

- Paul

Reactions: max
Quick shot of area beneath overpass. Can’t wait for the public space improvements! Photo taken 22 March.
77710D49-0973-4CD8-B0E3-6EC1499B2B7D.jpeg

LOL Hopefully I’m not jinxing anything, or this could go on for a while…. :)

- Paul

I'm not saying it's true; but I may have heard a rumour that the delay is @kotsy 's fault.

He wants to shoot the last train through as well, but refused to take pictures with dull grey skies in the background, so needed the whole thing delayed to get a better shot.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd the cutover is cancelled for this weekend. Funny, wasn’t someone saying something like that would happen?

Ahh, well, nevertheless…

From link. Correct, nothing about a "cutover".

Saturday, March 25 to Sunday, March 26​

Line: Barrie​
Time: Beginning of service Saturday, March 25 until end of service Sunday, March 26.​
Details: buses will replace train serviece​
Work: The construction between Downsview Park GO and Newmarket GO will include upgrading railway crossings, removing and installing culverts, removing vegetation and performing track maintenance, which will support significant service improvements.​

From link. Correct, nothing about a "cutover".

Saturday, March 25 to Sunday, March 26​

Line: Barrie​
Time: Beginning of service Saturday, March 25 until end of service Sunday, March 26.​
Details: buses will replace train serviece​
Work: The construction between Downsview Park GO and Newmarket GO will include upgrading railway crossings, removing and installing culverts, removing vegetation and performing track maintenance, which will support significant service improvements.​
Did it have a posting about the cutover and then the post got removed? What confirmation do we have about the switchover not happening this weekend?

Was there an official announcement on the delay and why?
Nope, and there likely won't be.

And no, the reason isn't that the work isn't ready to be done. It is.

But the problem is that with all of the other work being done on the corridor this weekend that there was not a way to move a train into place to test the various elements after the work was done on Sunday night. Which means that the first train over the work would have been the first southbound revenue move on Monday morning. And that is not an option for any number of different reasons.

They'll postpone the cutover by a couple of weeks, and ensure that it won't coincide with too much other work going on in the corridor so that they can have the test train ready at the site.

Dan

Nope, and there likely won't be.

And no, the reason isn't that the work isn't ready to be done. It is.

But the problem is that with all of the other work being done on the corridor this weekend that there was not a way to move a train into place to test the various elements after the work was done on Sunday night. Which means that the first train over the work would have been the first southbound revenue move on Monday morning. And that is not an option for any number of different reasons.

They'll postpone the cutover by a couple of weeks, and ensure that it won't coincide with too much other work going on in the corridor so that they can have the test train ready at the site.

Dan
how long will this work usually take? can they have it done at the middle of the night and have a night train test it?

Back