How many friggin' years has it been since there were no lane constrictions here? Mother of hell.

The Barrie rarely gets something out of the ordinary. Once or twice a year you'll get two conjoined trains shunting up north and when we got the southbound Canadian around August, I pretty much fell over. I don't think a P42 has ever been up here (@smallspy / @crs1026)?
Some footage I took of the Corridor detours that @crs1026 mentioned:

Yesterday. Looking pretty good in the dead of winter.

PXL_20240114_215014123.jpg
PXL_20240114_215156159.jpg

I'm glad the haters were so wrong.
63dd3ac77133a.image.jpg

not related but the sight of that train just screams the need for DMUs. what a waste of a honker diesel just for 2 coaches.
Crashworthiness and other factors are an issue because of strict TC regs.

VIA looked into replacing this train with RDC's and CN denied them.

This city really doesn't know how to make the areas under elevated guideways attractive. And people wonder why so many are skeptical of elevated rail...
Huh? This isn't a city project though?

Do you think the plans for the greenway are lacking, or are you just saying that people may be skeptical because they haven't seen any particularly good examples built to date?

FWIW, I think the the design will be pretty attractive and welcoming:
Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 17.31.06.png

Last edited:
Huh? This isn't a city project?
Actually no... it is a Metrolinx project. If it was a city project they would work on it in 2036, after John Street pedestrianization, the Canada Walk of Fame, Eglinton Connects, the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal, paving a street... any street at this point, etc.

Huh? This isn't a city project though?
I didn't say it was, I just meant the whole region as a catch all. Whether it be the city of Toronto, the TTC, or Metrolinx, most of what they've built or are planning on building in the modern era does not strike me as being remotely attractive.

Do you think the plans for the greenway are lacking, or are you just saying that people may be skeptical because they haven't seen any particularly good examples built to date?
The latter. I also think people will be skeptical because renderings are one thing, but the reality can be quite another. Most projects look great when rendered, but when translated to real life, it does not always have to be so...

To that end, I think the plans for the Greenway look adequate - I don't think they are particularly deserving of acclaim, but I don't think they look horrendous. However, I will remain skeptical unless I actually see that the project has been executed and looks like it does on the rendering.

N.B. I thought your statement "I'm glad the haters were so wrong" was being facetious. Besides the lack of trees shown in the NIMBY's renders, it looks exactly like what they said it was going to look like, a bleak, desolate, generally unpleasant looking spot. This is what happens with concrete structures... if there was, say, a wooden trestle, or a stone viaduct, I would have cause to amend my statement, but there is no part of the ugly concrete monstrosity that makes me think the NIMBYs were wrong.

N.B. I thought your statement "I'm glad the haters were so wrong" was being facetious. Besides the lack of trees shown in the NIMBY's renders, it looks exactly like what they said it was going to look like, a bleak, desolate, generally unpleasant looking spot.
That wasn't my intention at all. I thought the stainless steel cladding on the guideway looked great with the setting sun reflecting off it. Despite the cold weather, Campbell Park was lively with skaters and didn't feel the least bit bleak, desolate, or unpleasant. The area under the guideway is clearly still a construction site, so too early to judge that part, but the park is far from ruined.

Back