Just curious, aren't these homes super close to the train tracks - how do those people manage to live there? Or do you just get used to the sound eventually?

I'm not in one of these houses, but my place is just as close to the same railway line, just south of Bloor. To be honest, when the windows are shut, I barely notice the trains (and they're not yet very frequent anyway). In the warmer months we tend to leave the windows open for airflow and yeah, then it's a bit noisy – not unbearable at all, just a little annoying if you're on a video call – but not much more disruptive than a truck going by.

I used to live next to the train tracks on Noble Street, and the trains were largely unnoticeable if the windows were closed. If they were open, however - some mornings I'd be awakened by the first Go Train at 5:24 whatever, and from the grogginess of sleep, it would feel like the train was literally about to plow through my face.

It's never bugged me, and both the construction project and the trains themselves have been a delight for our daughter. What's most interesting is the variation in noise between the MP40s and 54s and the old F59s (far louder and more 'grunty').
A pity that line rarely if ever sees the fairly agricultural sounding P42s then…

A pity that line rarely if ever sees the fairly agricultural sounding P42s then…
The Barrie rarely gets something out of the ordinary. Once or twice a year you'll get two conjoined trains shunting up north and when we got the southbound Canadian around August, I pretty much fell over. I don't think a P42 has ever been up here (@smallspy / @crs1026)?

The Barrie rarely gets something out of the ordinary. Once or twice a year you'll get two conjoined trains shunting up north and when we got the southbound Canadian around August, I pretty much fell over. I don't think a P42 has ever been up here (@smallspy / @crs1026)?

They have gone up to Snider, on VIA trains that were detouring using the York or Halton Subs for various reasons. North of Snider? I’m pretty certain they never went up there - if they ever did, I’m not aware.

- Paul

Last edited:
Sadly the Barrie line will be a lot less interesting in the coming years. I’ve heard VIA’s days of using it are coming to an end (within 2ish years).

Sadly the Barrie line will be a lot less interesting in the coming years. I’ve heard VIA’s days of using it are coming to an end (within 2ish years).@@
It's inefficient to have The Canadian exit the city as it does, but since it's a unidirectional train, I'm curious how else they would do it besides wyeing at Snyder? @smallspy?

I'm wondering how using Canpa to access CP trackage gets a train to the CN Bala sub but no doubt somebody will explain the routing.

I'm wondering how using Canpa to access CP trackage gets a train to the CN Bala sub but no doubt somebody will explain the routing.

You won't get to the Bala Sub that way, but - after unloading at Union, an inbound #2 could head out the Galt Sub, back down the wye at Obico (if that track were reinstalled), back down to Canpa onto the LSW, and then enter the TMC pointed eastwards. So it's properly pointed before the shop receives it.

A bit awkward to seesaw across the LSW, however. The earlier method for wyeing was to take it all the way to Bayview.

So far this change is just a rumour, and I'm wondering who is said to have asked for it. Does ML or Oncorr want No 1 off the Newmarket? Is CN wanting No 1 off the York Sub? Is the connecting track at Snider to be removed? I'm wanting a bit more confirmation on this one.

- Paul

Back