Yeah, I'm not a big fan of these types of ratings either, but are ratings better or worse than reputation? (As you know some Scarborough schools like RH King have good reputations.)

BTW, I was doing some Googling and came across this:

Toronto’s most underrated neighbourhoods: #4

If you’re priced out of Moore Park, take a look at…CLIFFSIDE

What residents of tony Moore Park get for their multi-millions is access to a placid natural setting, large houses and proximity to Rosedale. The streets south of Kingston Road in Cliffside can boast two of those three amenities. (So long, Rosedale.)
The Scarborough Bluffs on the southern border of Cliffside offer, by a landslide, the city’s most stunning view of the lake. Architect-designed mansions along the bluffs, some featuring private tennis courts and pools, are priced like townhouses at Yonge and Eglinton, and the more modest houses that make up much of the neighbourhood are even downright affordable. The winding streets of the surrounding area offer a variety of housing styles on landscaped lots, all within quick walking distance of the park system on the Bluffs.

Last edited:
I drove past the site yesterday and saw that there is some work going on there. A quick glance seems to show that they're re-facing one of the buildings. Maybe they're making it into a sales centre or something?

Next time I go by I'll try to get a better look and take some pictures.

They took the development site off the market. So i'm assuming they're going to continue the project themselves.

This section of Kingston Road would greatly benefit from the investment and infusion of people. I hope it gets built! There was a planning study done for this corridor, and this development is consistent with the plan. Currently, the area is economically depressed and filled with strip malls. This development is important as it's the first for the area, and would hopefully lead to additional redevelopments.

One of my biggest pet peeves are planning studies that show lots of pretty renderings but completely ignore the land economics of the area thus nothing in the plan comes to fruition. I don't think this is the case with this one, but at a minimum the city planning or local councillor should revisit the plan to see what can be done to make this area more attractive for development.

I drove past the site yesterday and saw that there is some work going on there. A quick glance seems to show that they're re-facing one of the buildings. Maybe they're making it into a sales centre or something?

Next time I go by I'll try to get a better look and take some pictures.

Hi Guys.. I work for VHL developments and figure I just confirm some misunderstanding to this project. We are in fact building the sales office at the site and the Grand Opening will be Nov.3 , 2012. For those who are interested in acquiring more information, please register with thebluffs.ca

We've got a quick story up on the front page, and the sales centre is having its grand opening right now…

And it was packed at noon when we were there. It's not fancy schmancy outside or in, there's no scale model, (there is a model suite), but they have priced it right, and people have shown up. VHL keep doing this: they find a site they know is undervalued, that isn't on other developers' radar screens, so they don't overpay for the land, to don't spend more money than they need to on the sales centre, and then, as the cliche goes, they passed the savings on to the consumer. I have to admire that.

Last edited:
its truly rare to see condos for sale for under 200,000. this site has some for under $170,000... damn that's cheap. you can see how they didn't spend all that much on the sales centre, or the marketing, but you can't cut 30,000 off the price of a condo because of that. I would have to question the quality of a development at prices like that.

Yeah but look at the location. Isn't it a stone's throw from the ghetto?

some would consider this part along Kingston Road, part of the ghetto.

I'm glad something is considered on this site and it seems it will be something above bare minimum (architecturally speaking) but I would not be surprised if this building will turn out to be hideous (Although, I know the interiors will be bare minimum)

However, the whole process of which they decided to sell the site (After recently purchasing it) and all of a sudden just start to start sales makes me a bit curious

Despite Kingston Road's appearance, tear downs run about the same as most renos elsewhere. This is Scarborough's Willowdale; split-faced stone McMansions going up everywhere.

I am not familiar with the area. Please enlighten me, where,or what area close by that you would consider is the ghetto ?

urbandreamer is not familiar with the area either. Neither does he perceive many gradations between The Bridle Path and the third world. The area may not be the best in the city, but to use the term ghetto to describe it is ignorant, somewhat repugnant, and totally callous.

Back