Re: pictures by Canoe

That Deere backhoe is huge; the scoop fills a dump truck in 3 to 4 scoops--at one point on Friday afternoon there were 12 dump trucks in the process of being filled, waiting to be filled leaving the site, or entering the site.

This is to be a lot of soil to move here.

Official Hullmark Centre groundbreaking took place this morning.

Left to right
Stephen Upton (Vice President Development, Tridel)
Jeff Hull (Pricipal, Hullmark Developments)
David Zimmer (MPP)
Dalton McGuinty (Premier of Ontario)
Leo DelZotto (President, Tridel)

qp-HullmarkGB112410-1.jpg

Tridelwebmaster having a good look
qp-HullmarkGB112410-2.jpg

The real groundbreaking took place a while ago. They expect to be working on the pit for at least a year.
qp-HullmarkGB112410-3.jpg

Quick question. Where does all the material excavated from projects like this go?

Hullmark Centre is being developed to LEED standards. Demolition is included in these standards so as much material as possible is diverted from landfill. As you might notice from earlier pictures, demolition was separated so that concrete, steel, copper pipe and wire, etc. can be recycled. The excavated clay and soil is sent to dumpsites.

Went by the site today and noticed that their is a subway track that connects the Yonge and Sheppard line, running through part of the site. I will be interesting to see how they are gone build around that tunnel.

the Hullmark Centre development will largely not affect the northwest portion of this site (abutting the Sheppard-Yonge intersection) ... this is the area where the 'urban square' will be, as show in Tridel's site plan below ... it appears that a corner of the 5 Sheppard tower, which contains the 1 storey lobby for the office portion, will sit on the subway tunnel though (note light curved line in the grey area) ~

masterplan_700.jpg

plaza_680.jpg

I'm really excited for that mini circular plaza/park they have on the north-west corner of the site... if it turns out like the renders, it'll be one of the sickest complexes around. i still miss the initial tv screens they had... this is more conservative.

It is an awesome building I give it that but as an area resident , this building along with the Emerald City condo's being built on the other side of Yonge are going to make Yonge/ Sheppard way too busy... it is already the busiest intersection in my many hrs of driving experince in all of the GTA, especially during rush hour. The area already is a disaster to drive in, being that there are so many people and houses some of the worlds worst drivers ... now its going to be a complete gong show. I am so glad that I will be leaving the area shortly to move back downtown.... its too bad they don't put more buidlings like this right downtown

.... its too bad they don't put more buidlings like this right downtown

I agree. This is what should have been at the corner of Yonge and Dundas. Picture a mirror image of this, on the Northeast corner, instead of the eyesore we got.

Then the TV and Media screens could have been left intact and they would have been contextual with their surroundings.

I agree. This is what should have been at the corner of Yonge and Dundas. Picture a mirror image of this, on the Northeast corner, instead of the eyesore we got.

Then the TV and Media screens could have been left intact and they would have been contextual with their surroundings.

I wanted a decently tall building to go up there with the tv screens/advertisements below.... the overall feel of ny's times square comes from the dizzying canyon of tall buildings + flashy advertisements.... Something like Hullmark centre with more tv screens would have been cool.

Back