And no giant aboveground parking garage in the middle. This plan is immensely preferable.

Recently a single detached house was demolished just across the street right on the corner of Royal York and Ashley. My guess is that's where the sales centre is going to be built.

Not sure if these have been posted before, but I found these renderings on Kirkor's website:
upload_2016-9-6_16-14-56.png

upload_2016-9-6_16-15-8.png

upload_2016-9-6_16-15-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-6_16-14-56.png
    upload_2016-9-6_16-14-56.png
    2 MB · Views: 1,325
  • upload_2016-9-6_16-15-8.png
    upload_2016-9-6_16-15-8.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,297
  • upload_2016-9-6_16-15-20.png
    upload_2016-9-6_16-15-20.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,159
What is the hold up with this? It was approved ages ago...

Has to be designed and approved by the property owning company, the builders, the city, OMB, and the financiers. Then has to be appealed, altered, and approved all over again.

While it may pretend to be, that's not information.

We don't know. First Capital can go ahead when they want now that they have zoning approval. A company their size can afford to wait for when the time is right for them, and in the meantime, the plaza is still generating revenue for them.

Drove by the other day and a significant section of the main parking lot was being excavated. I suspect, and dearly hope, that this work is being done to finally build a sales centre. The wait for this makeover has been excruciating.

Update: yesterday I had a chat with a worker at the Laura Secord at Humber town Plaza, so I couldn't help but mention the planned redevelopment. She claimed that the project is either on hold or cancelled outright, because apparently Tridel twice conducted a sewer test, and both times it failed, meaning that the sewer system in the area does not have the capacity to handle the additional load that this project would bring.

I know it's not official information, but if true, this is extremely discouraging news for the neighborhood. I have no idea what options the developer can take now - can they lobby the city to upgrade the sewers? It would be great to get more detailed info...

Update: yesterday I had a chat with a worker at the Laura Secord at Humber town Plaza, so I couldn't help but mention the planned redevelopment. She claimed that the project is either on hold or cancelled outright, because apparently Tridel twice conducted a sewer test, and both times it failed, meaning that the sewer system in the area does not have the capacity to handle the additional load that this project would bring.

I know it's not official information, but if true, this is extremely discouraging news for the neighborhood. I have no idea what options the developer can take now - can they lobby the city to upgrade the sewers? It would be great to get more detailed info...
Sewer capacity is something that's checked for every development proposal. If the sewer test did fail despite the City having been satisfied that it was capable of handling the loads, then the City might be on the hook for some upgrades.

Otherwise, I was told that First Capital was shifting their attention to the Mondelez/Mr Chritstie's site for a while and that they wouldn't move on this redevelopment for at least a few years.

Was there any thought to ever putting a GO station on the Milton line around Humbertown? Perhaps around where the Bruno's Fine Foods plaza is on Dundas W?

I've thought about that as well. There is a lot of development activity along Dundas between Royal York and the Humber. Maybe once the remaining suburban plazas are built out in the area a GO station will be feasible.

I've thought about that as well. There is a lot of development activity along Dundas between Royal York and the Humber. Maybe once the remaining suburban plazas are built out in the area a GO station will be feasible.
It's also a way to get increased development while appeasing the neighbours with a quick train ride downtown. Still, it's Milton line which can be the most problematic due to it being a CP line.

Back