The max height is about right.

Otherwise it's rubbish. Way overwrought and disjointed. Haven't architects and planners learned that bridges and 2nd storey retail does not work in suburban locations? It's like Kitchener's Eaton Centre meets Market Square all over again, only in a suburban setting. Never will work.

Redesign.

What I don't understand is why the density is so low. 2Xs? Downtown is 8-12x's last I was involved. The projects on the 427 must be around 4 or so. Those beach projects the neighbours don't like are 4xs. Seems to me First Capital could have been way more aggressive. They must have bought it well or as retail developers can extract more value out of the retail portion.

I'm assuming that by reducing the height of the largest building from 21 to 12 storeys that the density has simply been re-distributed among the other buildings. I'm disappointed that they opted to do this instead of going to the OMB. I was looking forward to seeing that 21 storey tower as a big middle finger to the horrendous attitude of the selfish NIMBY's who live in the neighbourhood.

The drop in height and redistribution includes a 12% decrease in total proposed residential floor area. No decrease to proposed commercial space.

I'm disappointed that they opted to do this instead of going to the OMB. I was looking forward to seeing that 21 storey tower as a big middle finger to the horrendous attitude of the selfish NIMBY's who live in the neighbourhood.

+1

Perhaps the First Cap execs live in the area and are afraid of their neighbours.

Fly-by video has been posted on YouTube
[video=youtube_share;22EFlbdnLMs]http://youtu.be/22EFlbdnLMs[/video]

First Capital & Tridel will build something truly exciting for this neighbourhood. The project has many great elements (green roofs, functional piazza, and ample underground parking for both halves of the project). The eastern portions will be built first (between Royal York and the Kingsway) and then the higher density western portion. Intensification projects likes this make an otherwise sleepy neighbourhood vibrant and liveable. What's there now isn't the highest & best use. Look at how Shops at Don Mills (love it or hate it) has reactivated the area.

The plan looks good, and I'll echo everyone's sentiment that the developer should've went to the OMB instead of succumbing to the NIMBY's. However, my biggest concern is that this will be an urban island, just as the Distillery District was (and still is to an extent), only much worse because of its distance to the nearest walkable area. What makes this ridiculous is that city planners had a chance to change that with The James Club across the street, and yet they opted to allow another crappy condo-in-the-parkinglot. It's incredibly frustrating how city planners let issues like urbanity slide, but make a big fuss about shadows and heights. :mad:

What makes this ridiculous is that city planners had a chance to change that with The James Club across the street, and yet they opted to allow another crappy condo-in-the-parkinglot.

Actually, the bigger problem with James Club is that it awkwardly crowds in and compromises the setting of an exemplary 60s apartment-in-the-park: the sweeping arc of Royal York Gardens (then again, I wouldn't be surprised if you found that expendable, too)

Back