Geographically speaking Caledon is relatively large - 688 square kilometres - and makes up around 55% of the land area of Peel region. Population-wise it's on par with Dufferin County. Most of Caledon's land is part of the Greenbelt, Oak Ridges Moraine or is otherwise protected from development. I would hive off the 'white belt' lands and join them to Brampton to create a permanently rural Caledon which would join Dufferin County. Brampton and Mississauga could go their own ways, dissolving Peel Region completely.

Last edited:
Caledon really should be split off from Peel. The question is, do Mississauga and Brampton merge or do they remain as is or do they split completely and devolve the regional responsibilities back to the municipalities. It's hard to imagine Peel Police being split in 2 though.

Brampton and Mississauga are both large enough to have their own forces. Keeping then under 1 force would be an unnecessary oddity.

Brampton and Mississauga are both large enough to have their own forces. Keeping then under 1 force would be an unnecessary oddity.

The water/wastewaster systems are also unitary for Mississauga, Brampton and the southern urbanized sections of Caledon (Valleywood, Bolton, etc.). In any case, Peel would continue to exist, though its political powers and functions might change. It could simply become a service board contracted by the municipalities for water, waste and policing and ambulance services. Other inter-municipal police services exist in Ontario: South Simcoe Police serves Innisfil and Bradford West Gwillimbury; Peterborough-Lakefield Community Police serves the city and part of Selwyn (the former Village of Lakefield).

Anyone know where the proposed university campus is supposed to be located? I know in Halton they were talking about one located near the Velodrome in Milton.

Definitely starting to feel like this LRT will again be rejected by Brampton council. 5 out of 11 councilors against it doesn't bode well for it's chances when it comes to a vote.

Last edited:
Anyone know where the proposed university campus is supposed to be located? I know in Halton they were talking about one located near the Velodrome in Milton.

Previously (ie before this Mayor) the overwhelming sentiment in town was that the logical place for the campus was the Flower City community campus (the old OPP lands at Queen and McLaughlin).....this current mayor has been unspecific about where but repeatedly says "a downtown campus".....during the LRT meeting on July 8 she seemed to have a slip of the tongue and told of how her negotiations with Ryerson (first time I recall their name being used) would see our DT library and YMCA repurposed for the campus' use as PE and Library buildings.

Definitely starting to feel like this LRT will again be rejected by Brampton council. 5 out of 11 councilors against it doesn't bode well for it's chances when it comes to a vote.

Lack of ridership potential has always been my issue with this LRT.....that said, there are councillors who are just opposed for the sake of being opposed.......so people who previously were opposed on heritage...then "mississauga gets more"....then "serve the hospital"......will now jump on this ridership "revelation".....they are just opposed for the sake of it and will move to this new reason. The shocking thing is the ridership is not new information but they are poor representatives who don't do any independent reading/research and really just wait for th next Grewal article in the Star to appear so they can "form" their opinions. So I take no comfort that the issue I have been concerned about for years on this is finally being discussed....cause these guys will ride this till they find another reason to be opposed.

The good news for the people who support the LRT is that the 5 who support the LRT are just as dogmatic in their opinions....they are no more well read or researched and it is unlikely that any information (true or false) can/will move them from their opinion. It will really come down to who can do the best sell job on the one guy who has never stated his position one way or the other (although it is suspected he leans towards a no......sadly, I think if someone promised to spend even more money on an even lower ridership extension to Bovaird or Sandalwood he would likely vote yes).

I think it's pretty much safe to say that the Main Street portion of the LRT is dead. The no side has way more traction than the yes side, and I don't see anything changing the minds of the no side.

I think it's pretty much safe to say that the Main Street portion of the LRT is dead. The no side has way more traction than the yes side, and I don't see anything changing the minds of the no side.
like i said, I don't think anything will change the minds of the yes side either.....it is a 5 - 5 tie, the issue is in extra innings and councillor Palleschi will hit a walk off home run....just not sure what side he will be playing for.

Brampton needs to get its act together. To kill one of the most important pieces of transportation infrastructure it can build for the sake of some minor aesthetic concerns or to preserve a handful of spaces for cars is ridiculous. It's one of those decisions that would have people shaking their heads for years to come.

When you replace a bus route with any kind of rail (LRT or subway), the number of riders will be much higher than the number of people who used the bus route. Counting the number of people who use bus route 2/502 is not a meaningful way of estimating the number of riders who will use the LRT.
perhaps....but the other extreme is to assume (as the ML study did) that simply changing from bus to LRT will create a ten-fold increase in the transit share of trips and then when that ten-fold increase produces numbers that can be handled by BRT.....recommend spending way more building a LRT.

transit share brt v lrt Hurontario.JPG hmlrt peak demand.JPG

Attachments

• transit share brt v lrt Hurontario.JPG
    transit share brt v lrt Hurontario.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 408
  • hmlrt peak demand.JPG
    hmlrt peak demand.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 451

Back