I don't know...I imagine a person in 2060 saying with a greatly expanded transit network saying "Meet me at Eglinton station... Which one? The east-east-east one"
At the same time, would it really be a problem when that third line(HuLRT) is in an entirely different city?

At the same time, would it really be a problem when that third line(HuLRT) is in an entirely different city?

For the HuLRT you might get away with it (the DRL North would be a bigger problem). But given the whole greater regional transit integration goal striving to avoid name duplication as much as possible makes sense

I think changing the names in Mississauga to avoid duplication with Toronto is taking it a step too far. No one is going to confuse Dundas station on the subway with Dundas station on the Hurontario LRT. You'd have to be really incompetent to do that

Yeah I hate how transit agencies always assume that people are easily confused (although I suppose those who have worked retail might hold a different view). That being said, such people do exist, it's just that they're an extremely small minority and not worth catering to.

There is one exception though: Highway 407 Station (on the subway) and Highway 407/Hurontario Station. There is at least one GO bus (the 48) that currently serves both locations, so you would want to minimize confusion there.

It would depend on how it was spelt The Saksatwean Roughriders spelt it as one word well tOttawatwa Rough Riders spelt it as two words, so you would always ask one R or two Rs.

Now, just imagine that with Eglinton, Queen, Steeles, Bloor, or any number of duplicate street names throughout the GTA.

I think changing the names in Mississauga to avoid duplication with Toronto is taking it a step too far. No one is going to confuse Dundas station on the subway with Dundas station on the Hurontario LRT. You'd have to be really incompetent to do that

Or a tourist. Or a new immigrant.

When we first moved to Toronto, my dad had an interview on Kennedy Road. We'd been in Canada all of a week. He mistook the one in Scarborough, for the one in Brampton.

These things happen.

I agree broadly that where naming it according to a local road makes sense, that is what should be done. And given that in the GTA, cross-streets matter a lot more than neighbourhood names, it makes more sense to do so. But we should make some effort to distinguish between these places.

I'd like to see stations named for the intersections. This would be especially effective on LRT. Neighbourhood names for mid block stations maybe.

Or a tourist. Or a new immigrant.

When we first moved to Toronto, my dad had an interview on Kennedy Road. We'd been in Canada all of a week. He mistook the one in Scarborough, for the one in Brampton.

These things happen.

I agree broadly that where naming it according to a local road makes sense, that is what should be done. And given that in the GTA, cross-streets matter a lot more than neighbourhood names, it makes more sense to do so. But we should make some effort to distinguish between these places.

I'd like to see stations named for the intersections. This would be especially effective on LRT. Neighbourhood names for mid block stations maybe.

We'll have to change the names of streets in the 905 anyways once the City of Toronto annexes the 905 cities by the 22nd century.

We'll have to change the names of streets in the 905 anyways once the City of Toronto annexes the 905 cities by the 22nd century.

You assume the 905 will change vs Toronto.

There are a lot of streets with more heritage and more importance in the 905 vs Toronto. Some that come to my mind include Brant St (Burlington) & Simcoe St (Oshawa...which goes all the way to Hwy 48).

But to be quite honest there are only a limited number of names that can be used. In many other cities you have to state the street name then the district. Not difficult.

When you get on an unknown transit line in any other city you can figure it out (even in a foreign language). They could name the stops random first names (Fred, Betty, Wilma, Barney) and 99% of people could add 1+1 together to know where they are. And for the 1% that can't....well the people that live near the stop are lucky they don't have to deal with them.

The only station name that I think is legitimately possible to confuse is Central Parkway, as there is a Central Parkway station on the Mississauga Transitway already.

But if we're going to embark on this kind of unique station naming quest, you should really rename all stations by their cross-streets so that the names are truly unique and not confused for anywhere else. Just because the Dundas station at Yonge was named that first doesn't give that station any more right to that name than the station on Hurontario. Rename them Dundas-Yonge and Dundas-Hurontario if you want to go that route. Otherwise, let's just live with duplicate station names. Or maybe put the line name in parantheses after. Dundas (1) and Dundas (H) or something along those lines.

The only station name that I think is legitimately possible to confuse is Central Parkway, as there is a Central Parkway station on the Mississauga Transitway already.

But if we're going to embark on this kind of unique station naming quest, you should really rename all stations by their cross-streets so that the names are truly unique and not confused for anywhere else. Just because the Dundas station at Yonge was named that first doesn't give that station any more right to that name than the station on Hurontario. Rename them Dundas-Yonge and Dundas-Hurontario if you want to go that route. Otherwise, let's just live with duplicate station names. Or maybe put the line name in parantheses after. Dundas (1) and Dundas (H) or something along those lines.
Is this worth bringing up at the Metrolinx Town Hall?

Back