Wonder if Brown mentioned any *specific* transit projects in his call with the PM.

He shared this graphic in 3/3. Also, apparently Brown blocks some local Brampton residents on twitter.

2Pvfpdz

That “analysis” is incredibly over-simplified. The populations of the municipalities and ridership of each transit project aren’t indicated here at all, nor the particular transit modality. TYSSE and SSE are subways and so they are much more expensive than Zum which is barely BRT.

If this is the way Brown will conduct analyses informing her governing, Brampton won’t get much accomplished.

The residents association in Port Credit is having a town hall and LRT is on the agenda.

Attachments

• IMG_20181109_090736.jpg
    IMG_20181109_090736.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 328
An NDP minister representing Rosedale framed her question about the Hurontario LRT with

"people are fed up with being stuck in traffic for hours or crammed in like sardines in overcrowded buses or streetcars"

It is not clear she has ever been on Hurontario or understands the issues there or the environment there.

I'm sorry?

The question was to the Premier. The *Premier* (who was there) dodged the freakin' question, and had another know-nothing proffer a dodge instead of the Premier doing the Dodge, even as a Ford.

Classic case of stick-shift. Offside.

I may be naive for not being overly concerned about it, but it seems quite par for the course in terms of Queen's Park answering. I personally chalk it up to that question not being one for the Premier to answer. Ahead of Question Period, Ministers and the Premier are briefed on what questions they will most likely be asked. It's common for the Premier to bounce questions that they haven't been briefed on that day for a Minister to reflect, even if they have an answer. I'm not saying it was nothing, but the Transportation Minister wasn't present and I think Steve Clark did the "best" (emphasis on those quotes) he could in terms of an answer.

I personally chalk it up to that question not being one for the Premier to answer.
You can actually hear Ford refer to the question to his 'deflector in chief'...not the most appropriate minister in lieu of the new Transpo Min not being there. There were at least two other sitting members much more privy to the facts if Ford really wanted the question answered.

He didn't want the question answered. And that's not what Question Period is meant to be. It's exactly meant to answer bona-fide questions from the Opposition. It's become a circus in the Cdn example of the Parliamentary tradition. The original rules of the House (or Legislature) was that not answering a question was 'contempt' for the chamber.

If they "haven't been briefed"...then they have every right to state: "That's a fair question to which we don't have a considered answer at this time, Mr Speaker. I can supply either a written or oral answer next Question Period".

Perhaps I'm too old-fashioned, remembering what tradition and the unwritten rules required three generations ago. Odd that, as Parliament itself is centuries old...

Some review of the situation is in order:
Key transit projects in limbo as PCs do ‘line-by-line audit’
By BEN SPURRTransportation Reporter
Thu., Sept. 20, 2018
Almost four months after the Progressive Conservatives swept to power, a handful of key Toronto-area transit initiatives remain in limbo, with the new provincial government refusing to commit to billions of dollars worth of projects championed by the ousted Liberals.

Facing questions from reporters Thursday for the first time since the June election, Transportation Minister John Yakabuski declined to answer directly when asked whether the Conservatives will follow through on pledges their predecessors made, including reducing fares for shorter GO trips and electrifying large portions of the GO network.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/09/19/go-transit-adding-trips-on-lakeshore-train-lines.html

Well guess what? That "line by line audit" has come and gone. And still nobody behind the Queen's Park wicket able to tell us when the train is coming. Even Il Duce could do that...

Meantime "The Yak" was shown his back, and gave poor Grandma the bone.

Last edited:
NDP concerned Ford government might cut Mississauga Hurontario LRT project
NEWS 05:21 PM by Graeme Frisque Mississauga News
Hurontario LRT
Ontario’s official Opposition is raising concerns the Ontario government might be considering cutting funding for a long-planned LRT line down Hurontario Street in Mississauga.

The planned route would stretch 20 kilometres running north-south from the Port Credit GO station to the Gateway Terminal in Brampton. The $1.5-billion project is scheduled for completion in 2022.

In a release on Tuesday (Nov. 13), NDP transit critic Jessica Bell said a recent meeting with the Ontario ministry of transportation didn’t inspire confidence in the project’s future.

“After a concerning meeting with ministry representatives where they refused to end rumours that the government is planning to cancel the planned Hurontario LRT and GO Electrification, I gave Doug Ford’s government another chance to set the record straight,” said Bell in the release.

“Instead of clearly saying that these projects are still on the Ford government’s agenda, the minister responded with vague platitudes that didn’t even reference the projects that I had clearly asked about,” she added.

Bell is referring to an exchange earlier in the day at Queen’s Park with Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing Steve Clark. Bell questioned the government about its commitment to the Mississauga LRT line and a proposed GO train electrification project across the province.

“The Hurontario LRT is a transit project that has a lot of community support. During the election, the Premier promised to build it. Yet when we met ministry of transportation staff, they refused to say whether this government is moving ahead with the Hurontario LRT,” Bell said during question period.

“Is this government going to build the Hurontario LRT and provide transit relief to residents?” she asked.

While Clark said both the premier and the PC government are committed to transit in general, he did not specifically confirm his government’s commitment to the Mississauga Hurontario line.

“As has been said in this house many times, our premier and our government’s commitment to transit is second to none. We’re going to continue to work with our partners. I appreciate the input that the honourable member has put on the floor today and I look forward to engaging her and the minister further on this matter,” he responded.

Bell called that response a confirmation of the NDP’s concerns about the project.

“Sadly, I and the people of Ontario are left to conclude that these projects are indeed on the chopping block,” she said.

While the Opposition NDP is clearly concerned for the line’s fate, the Ford government has not announced any plans to cancel the funding or change the scope of the project.

Mayor Bonnie Crombie told the Mississauga News neither she nor city staff have received any indication the government is planning to axe the project.

“There has been no indication from the Ontario government that the project is not proceeding. Premier Ford committed to funding the Hurontario LRT and other transit projects during the provincial election campaign. I look forward to working with the premier and his government to move Mississauga forward and see through this transformative project which will create jobs and get people moving across Mississauga and the GTA,” she said.

A request for comment from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation was not answered by the time of this publication.
https://www.mississauga.com/news-st...might-cut-mississauga-hurontario-lrt-project/

Back