There is nothing stopping Mississauga from providing an express LRT route bypassing the City Centre continuing a route down Hurontario, just as it does with the Route 202 today. Simply put, every other train could either be labeled CITY CENTRE that will make the loop in or bypass the loop for PORT CREDIT directly.

That will be quite a bit more expensive, but that's not a bad idea as long as the frequencies on both services are frequent enough.

I would really like to see this plan rolled out sooner rather later. I'm totally opposed to building a BRT line along Hurontario as current ridership levels could already support an LRT line. I wouldn't mind seeing this open in three phases: 1 Port Credit - City Centre loop, 2 City Centre to 407 Transitway, 3 Transitway to Downtown Brampton.

Yes, current ridership can certainly support LRT, and I think I would also prefer LRT. But if this is a joint-funded study, I think your phasing plan (with a north terminus in the middle of nowhere for a while) won't fly, thankfully, especially if that ends up being where the carhouse goes. Even Brampton figured out the wisdom of not dumping people at illogical termini at civic boundaries for its transit plans.

The connection to Square One is absolutely essential as it is clearly the largest destination in the area.

That is what needs to change though. Square One needs to stop being the prime destination, and just be a major player, rather than the player. If downtown Toronto was only about Eaton Centre, it would be strange.
Of course, I think this is something that will change over time.

I do like the idea of a loop though!

I can see it now. A Burnhamthorpe LRT, a Hurontario LRT, and they both loop kind of like how the subway used to loop downtown.

IMO, the permanance of the existing CCTT is obvious and no gov't will spend multimillions relocating it, if for no other reason their nepotism won't allow them to admit that the terminal probably should have been built further east but the gov't at the time messed up. That said, why should it take the construction of another LRT line way off in the indefinite future to secure a direct connection to DOY? It's understandable why the 202 avoids the detour, but we're not talking a surface bus connection here. Rather we're creating sustainable transit options for the MCC, ones that wouldn't require transfering onto another bus just to get around the focal Square One area. An underground ROW doesn't neccesarily have to follow the street grid either, so speed allowances can be achieved in this manner.

Also, while Hurontario intersects many of the routes that eventually feed into Square One (thereby passengers could transfer off to connecting services at an earlier point) these connections would occur on-street without the luxury of bus terminals (no large waiting area with seats, limited defense from the elements, no A/C, no washrooms, no vending, no payphones, no information/ticket purchasing facilities). Passengers will still demand the connection even if the detour adds 5 minutes to the overall commute because most trips through Mississauga are actually travelling east-west not north-south, hence Square One is likely the southbound end-point for folks coming in from the north and vice-versa.

Latest Vision

Burnhamthorpe
3347943757_85596b0def_m.jpg

3347943713_576526a29e_m.jpg

3347943677_b449276136_m.jpg

3348778344_1745313711_m.jpg

3348778304_fbf723ffe7_m.jpg

3347943543_c86083e7e0_m.jpg

i just got back from chicago, so the notion of a loop sits well with me right about now...
but yeah, servicing the city centre while offering an express that would bypass it seems like the best idea to my mind (though it is a mind with no knowledge of the intricacies of transportation planning).

The difference would be about 75 metres, if a tunnel were built underground from the north end of what is currently the parking lot, in a straight line to the entrance of square one.

The difference is more than 300 metres, not 75 metres. The current CCTT is right across the street from Square One. How can you not see this? This is just getting ridiculous really.

I'm not sure why you're having such a huge issue with something that is simply just an idea. Ideas are positive and good things, and you seem to have a problem with ideas for some reason.

I have no problem with ideas, I only have a problem bad ideas.

No one in this thread, including you, has provided ANY justification for connecting the Hurontario LRT to CCTT. There is no reason for the LRT to serve CCTT and so there is no reason for the terminal to be moved.

There are 3 reason why the current terminal exists:

1. To serve Square One
2. To connect to the Transitway
3. To allow each route to connect to the others

A Hurontario LRT that stays on Hurontario would already fulfill all three conditions. So what exactly would be the point of a diversion of the LRT? What would be the point of moving the terminal?

Also, while Hurontario intersects many of the routes that eventually feed into Square One (thereby passengers could transfer off to connecting services at an earlier point) these connections would occur on-street without the luxury of bus terminals

Yeah, just like downtown Toronto...

The difference is more than 300 metres, not 75 metres. The current CCTT is right across the street from Square One. How can you not see this? This is just getting ridiculous really.

There is a difference of 10m depending on where you count the entrance to Yorkdale. From the exit of the office building that contains GO, or the entrance of Yorkdale on the other side of the tunnel.
Differene of 84-94m depending on which option you choose.

Yorkdale-Square%20One%20Distances.jpg

Last edited:
There is a difference of 10m depending on where you count the entrance to Yorkdale. From the exit of the office building that contains GO, or the entrance of Yorkdale on the other side of the tunnel.
Differene of 84-94m depending on which option you choose.

Yorkdale-Square%20One%20Distances.jpg

And most of that distance in Mississauga is currently just a parking garage or parking lots, the only real building is less than 25% as indicated by the building's shadow.

And most of that distance in Mississauga is currently just a parking garage or parking lots, the only real building is less than 25% as indicated by the building's shadow.

You can erase the image when quoting someone, so that it doesn't unnecessarily show up in the very next post.

However, I'm not sure what your point is anyway.

No Loops!

I agree with sending the Hurontario LRT to the Transit Terminal but please no loops. Have the LRT take a short trip on Rathburn to the Transit Terminal and be on its way. I take the Milton GO bus every once in a while and the tour of Square One parking lots is an unnecessary waste of time. There are enough routes out of the Transit Terminal at Square One to provide quick access to anywhere else in the City Centre area. Creating a loop would be like having the King and Queen cars follow a Queen University Front Yonge loop and the density downtown is far greater than Square One. Completely unnecessary. In Chicago the bulk of people are ending or originating their trips around the loop. Without the development of a lot more offices in the City Centre and a reduction of offices along the 401 this will never be the case in Mississauga. The loop now would serve mostly parking lots.

City Centre Loop

I attended the public meeting tonight at the Living Arts Centre and it turns out that I was right about having the city plan on two LRT routes into the City Centre:

PHASE 1 City Centre Loop/4 Stations: Rathburn, Transit Terminal, Living Arts Drive/Civic Centre and Burnhamthorpe/New Main Street then onto Hurontario.

PHASE 2 Corridor/2 Stations: Rathburn, City Centre Drive/New Absolute Drive then back onto Hurontario.

Burnhamthorpe Road will also be narrowed from 6 lanes to 4 lanes in the heart of the City Centre, along with dedicated bike lanes on the "safe" side of the parking lanes, and plans for raised intersections to facilitate barrier free access for predestrians and to slow down drives.

A strategic new north south "main street" to connect Square One to City Centre Drive, cut in between parking lots of 151 and 201 City Centre Drive office building, to Burnhamthorpe and extended Webb Drive.

It is a strategic location because it connects Square One on the north, office buildings to the east, Civic Centre to the west and new condos to the south.

Planned intensification of parking lots with the 5 land owners for new mid-rise, mixed-used buildings within the next 5 - 7 years to be ready in time for opening of the LRT Station at Burnhamthorpe Road.

Louroz

Last edited:
I agree with sending the Hurontario LRT to the Transit Terminal but please no loops. Have the LRT take a short trip on Rathburn to the Transit Terminal and be on its way. I take the Milton GO bus every once in a while and the tour of Square One parking lots is an unnecessary waste of time. There are enough routes out of the Transit Terminal at Square One to provide quick access to anywhere else in the City Centre area. Creating a loop would be like having the King and Queen cars follow a Queen University Front Yonge loop and the density downtown is far greater than Square One. Completely unnecessary. In Chicago the bulk of people are ending or originating their trips around the loop. Without the development of a lot more offices in the City Centre and a reduction of offices along the 401 this will never be the case in Mississauga. The loop now would serve mostly parking lots.
And ignore the offices on Hurontario between where the LRT would leave Hurontario and rejoin Hurontario? That doesn't make sense. A loop makes much more sense. Also, those parking lots will not be parking lots forever.

I think what Enviro is saying is make a quickie run into the terminal and back out again (not ignoring Hurontario) and for those wanting to venture far from Hurontario or the CCTT transfer to one of the many buses that serve CCTT.

Back