On track for opening in 2024 per this.

If the former Hurontario LRT within Mississauga will be named "Hazel McCallion LRT", shouldn't the LRT within the borders of Brampton be named the "Patrick Brown LRT" (if it built into "downtown Brampton")? :eek::p:oops:

Peel Regional Chair Nando Iannicca might have been considered, but no one knows who he is.

Last edited:
On track for opening in 2024 per this.

4.6B? Was not this supposed to cost 1.2? I know there are cost overruns and inflation etc. but that initial number has turned out to be completely useless.

Paving underway.
FB9FAC8A-DC04-4678-8FBC-83092B5E549A.jpeg

4.6B? Was not this supposed to cost 1.2? I know there are cost overruns and inflation etc. but that initial number has turned out to be completely useless.
Difference is capital cost vs total 20-30 year cost inclusive of financing, operating, maintenance cost. It's kind of a misleading way to quote transit project costs, as much of that cost won't be borne for decades and is much less in present value terms (assuming the $5.6B is not discounted). It seems like a rather bizarro financial measure to me.

From the Globe and Mail.
The government just okayed the similar Hurontario light-rail transit line in Mississauga, awarding a contract in October to a consortium to design, build, operate and maintain it, with a $4.6-billion price tag over its 30-year life. (Another $1-billion in maintenance and operating costs is to be covered by Mississauga, bringing the total cost to $5.6-billion.) The project was originally described as having $1.2-billion in base capital costs.

The benefits case projects annual ridership of around 30m on the line. Over 30 years, that implies a cost per ride of ~$6, or likely in the range of $0.30-$0.60 per passenger km. Ontario Line is more like $4/ride. I find it hard to argue from a dollars and cents perspective that transit investment is cost effective. Maybe it would help if we had congestion road pricing.

Difference is capital cost vs total 20-30 year cost inclusive of financing, operating, maintenance cost. It's kind of a misleading way to quote transit project costs, as much of that cost won't be borne for decades and is much less in present value terms (assuming the $5.6B is not discounted). It seems like a rather bizarro financial measure to me.

From the Globe and Mail.

The benefits case projects annual ridership of around 30m on the line. Over 30 years, that implies a cost per ride of ~$6, or likely in the range of $0.30-$0.60 per passenger km. Ontario Line is more like $4/ride. I find it hard to argue from a dollars and cents perspective that transit investment is cost effective. Maybe it would help if we had congestion road pricing.

Thanks. That makes a bit more sense. On the other hand, trying to estimate costs even 10 years down the road, never mind 30 years, is foolish though I supppse that they need to come with some preliminary numbers.

If the former Hurontario LRT within Mississauga will be named "Hazel McCallion LRT", shouldn't the LRT within the borders of Brampton be named the "Patrick Brown LRT" (if it built into "downtown Brampton")? :eek::p:oops:
Ain't nobody gonna call this thing the "Hazel McCallion LRT" except maybe the Ford family, who are inexplicably obsessed with her and who will also never ride it.

Hazel will call it the "me LRT", I guess.

So the crews are 1 for 2. QEW open but Hurontario is not.
Going to take months to rebuild Hurontario itself to line up with the new tunnel that will have a sidewalk as well the rebuilt ramps to/from the QEW..

Still have to build the barrier wall and railings at each end of the new tunnel on for the QEW as well retaining walls.

Haven't seen anything regarding having a sidewalk on the west side where there has been non for decades and hope there is one, once finish. The current tunnel will be close by the summer, if not sooner.

Looking at the photo above, they have to add an extension to the box so the south end lines up with the current south end and that will take about 2 months, unless that on ramp will be very close to the end of the new box.

To hard to get shot yesterday on my way into Toronto and will be a few days before I get back down to the area this week.

Haven't seen anything regarding having a sidewalk on the west side where there has been non for decades and hope there is one, once finish. The current tunnel will be close by the summer, if not

Just look above your post. The plan was posted this morning and shows a sidewalk on both sides.

Nov 1

Traffic is a single lane going south on Hurontario including access to the QEW, with traffic real backup to the Queensway.

The removal of the dirt left behind to get the box into position for Sunday is being remove and should all done by the weekend. This will allow the building of the missing section that is to line up with the existing bridge on the south side.

The box was moving a meter per hour and this allow the removal of the QEW a few hours in front of the box move.

The full box couldn't be built due site restriction as well interfering with traffic during the building of the box as well getting it into position. 2 of the westbound off ramp would had to be close during the construction of the box and only one lane would be open for the eastbound traffic during the moving of the box which MTO did not want to see at all.

Removal of equipment for the push and the box is underway.

This box move will give everyone hand on training for the Port Credit Box move, when every that is to happen. Every date I have seen and heard has been miss by a mile. April was the first date and the last one was Oct.

Excavation is underway for removing the dirt in the Mary Fix Creek to allow the building of the bridge supports. The hydro pole that was in the way for the forming of the wall has been removed. Move of the wires have been strung on the new taller hydro polos on the east side that are further east of the new street layout.

Some unedited shots taken today. No idea when they and the rest will be up on my site
133A3749.JPG
133A3752.JPG
133A3771.JPG
133A3781.JPG
133A3772.JPG
133A3757a.JPG

Back