With how much still needs to be done, it is hard to believe that Q4 2024 substantial completion will be achieved.

With how much still needs to be done, it is hard to believe that Q4 2024 substantial completion will be achieved.
It will not happen as there so much to do in the next 13 months. Look at how much of the guideway is in place considering been 11 months since work started on it and the remaining area is 1.35% larger along with building the 403 overpass, rebuilt the 407 overpass and finishing the elevated section. No OS in place and another 10(?) substations to be install.

From the 403 to PC, the whole road has to be rebuilt before they can start on the guideway

As I noted in the past, 25 more intersections have to be rebuilt, not counting the 13 that have been rebuild with 2 more underway that will take 4-6 weeks to do one.

Only 4 crew members working today on formwork at Courtneypark that has trackwork that will be pour this week. Very small crews working in the corridor during the week and haven't seen anyone on the elevated section in weeks.

Until Topflight trackwork is completed along with the pouring of the northbound lanes, can't built the missing guideway from it to the area north of Kingsway once northbound traffic is is moved to the new lanes. Still have to build the lanes in both direction from Topflight to the 407 before work can start on the guideway, let alone to Steeles.

If the crews were double in 2024, maybe substantial completion can be meet by the end of 2024.

The earliest I can see the testbed ready for burning in the new fleet as well training, will be Q2 2024, not this year as plan.

Haven't heard anything when the first LRV is to arrive considering the issues will be the same as Ottawa LRV' that was scheduled to arrive either this month or in Nov.

Weird that Metrolinx is still repeating Q4 2024 substantial completion as recently as a month or two ago when that looks challenged.

Weird that Metrolinx is still repeating Q4 2024 substantial completion as recently as a month or two ago when that looks challenged.
They’re part of the government. They are going to keep things as close to the vest as possible. Maybe transit nerds know the time frame is off but the general public is at least under the impression things are going smoothly.

They’re part of the government. They are going to keep things as close to the vest as possible. Maybe transit nerds know the time frame is off but the general public is at least under the impression things are going smoothly.
Just from a comms and expectation management perspective, given the troubles with Line 5, you'd think they wouldn't want another example of a "this line is supposed to be done now and we don't know when it will be" situation.

Also, given that this line doesn't have the excuse of Line 5's complexity, what do we think explains the delay? Shortage of labour/resources?

It seems to me that they're not even done relocating utilities along big stretches.

Just from a comms and expectation management perspective, given the troubles with Line 5, you'd think they wouldn't want another example of a "this line is supposed to be done now and we don't know when it will be" situation.

Also, given that this line doesn't have the excuse of Line 5's complexity, what do we think explains the delay? Shortage of labour/resources?

It seems to me that they're not even done relocating utilities along big stretches.
Then you have the government admitting they messed up two projects at the same time. I just don’t think they want to admit that.

Then you have the government admitting they messed up two projects at the same time. I just don’t think they want to admit that.
it's entirely possible that Metrolinx has information that we don't have and they're confident in the timelines that they're being given. Port Credit Station and the QEW were always going to be the most technically challenging and time-consuming sections of the project, once those are substantially complete I expect we'll see more visible and rapid progress.

it's entirely possible that Metrolinx has information that we don't have and they're confident in the timelines that they're being given. Port Credit Station and the QEW were always going to be the most technically challenging and time-consuming sections of the project, once those are substantially complete I expect we'll see more visible and rapid progress.
anything is possible and I’m optimistic. But the Ontario government isn’t exactly open with their communication these days so it’s fair to be skeptical.

The simple answer could be that because Ottawa is messed up they are being extra cautious here. I have family in Ottawa so I’m familiar with that situation. Most transit nerds would be familiar with that situation. But the general public is not and as a result might not be so open to that being a reason for a delay.

You may be overthinking it on communications. Metrolinx may know the contractor is behind, but the contractor is saying they are on schedule and will make a date. Metrolinx has to take the contractors at their word and can't go publicly accusing the contractor for being behind until it happens.

You may be overthinking it on communications. Metrolinx may know the contractor is behind, but the contractor is saying they are on schedule and will make a date. Metrolinx has to take the contractors at their word and can't go publicly accusing the contractor for being behind until it happens.
Big projects typically have milestones, and if the overall project is going to be late you will often have a clue when those milestone dates are being missed.

All Sept and Oct 1 photos are now up on my site and finally up to date.

Aug 27 407 overpass
53202808676_bc45396c23_b.jpg

53202808671_0645cf5ba7_b.jpg

53203031928_1e1e8b5e9f_b.jpg

53201841627_b52952b2d4_b.jpg

Oct 11
Saw 3 workers leaving the elevated section today and they were forming for the outside curb. Long rang shots.

Work has started on the northbound curb lane for rebuilding the northbound lanes between Absolute Dr to Sq One Drive

The Southbound Lanes are ready to be rebuilt between Burnhamthorpe and Central Parkway with someone doing measuring.

Was planning on getting to the PC area today, but it didn't happen like it been the last week to do. Same for going up to Topflight on the weekend.
53252019276_37bcb34c20_b.jpg

Oct 15
The rain change my plan for the day that i went up to Topflight late in the day

Wintergraden Intersection is ready to open once the paving is done this week.

Eglinton intersection is the next intersection for trackwork as signs are posted no left turns at Eglinton. Going to be a fun 6 weeks for drivers not to make left turns there.

A lot of form work in the guideway where sections of curbs are being replace as well section that were not pour.

Not much change to the guideway from Eglinton to Matheson since my last trip.

Concrete base being pour on both sides of the 401 overpass and they will not have the 4 curbs in them as the area is too narrow for them.

No work has taken place on any of the platforms that were being form or ready for concrete, Derry Platform is seeing trackwork being installed.

Small section of the trackwork by the 407 station ready for top coat.

The west side of the OMSF have poles up as a short section of the trackwork from the yard.

Topflight is full open up to the motel entrance.

First switch is being built to go north for the outbound track in sections

The crossovers of the mainlines have been level with forming starting to be place and will be the first area to see concrete for the intersection. Otherwise, very little trackwork has taken place since my last visit.

Hurontario 403 overpass first of 3 phases is almost done for rebuilding it that will see the southbound lanes move to it so the centre centre section can be done next or it will be the northbound lanes.

More up on my site
53261805363_a85ebbdd08_b.jpg

53260629197_f05aa1638b_b.jpg

53261507286_3b5888ba8d_b.jpg

53260628172_2e148a2c9b_b.jpg

53260628337_7e2e289ee9_b.jpg

53261507926_a197b480a5_b.jpg

53260628907_a8ff173969_b.jpg

Is it contemplated to use the LRT ROW for express bus service? It seems like that could be a useful stop gap for connecting to Brampton GO, MCC, Cooksville GO. If buses could get signal priority they ought to be quite a bit faster. If the whole ROW is paved with concrete this shouldn't be a problem.

Back