Here's Danforth and Woodbine, in 1915, with fresh streetcar tracks and the overhead wires completed. Mostly farmland, but getting medium-density, not low-density sprawl.

WestFromWoodbinejpg.jpg

The road itself is unpaved, except for the streetcar tracks. Today, transit is forgotten and after the fact.

Thanks for the clarification. That's helpful. Now I understand.

Switching topics, any predictions or sense of what will happen at Council on the 15th? At this juncture in the transit debate in Brampton, what would you like to see happen given the current circumstances (IE less than two years away from a provincial/municipal election, RER promises, and the Queen St study for either LRT or BRT)?
I am the wrong guy to ask....my opinion on the LRT was made clear much earlier in this thread.

I am the wrong guy to ask....my opinion on the LRT was made clear much earlier in this thread.

No worries. I was aware of your previous position so I just curious to what folks here thought about the remain options, now that Council has voted and likely wouldn't change their positions before the end of their terms.

No worries. I was aware of your previous position so I just curious to what folks here thought about the remain options, now that Council has voted and likely wouldn't change their positions before the end of their terms.
Frankly, I think Council should sit on this for a couple of years....irrespective of what has happened before.

there are a couple of major issues facing the city and how those shape out could impact what is the right thing to do how to (if at all) extend the LRT. How is AD2W getting to Brampton in what form and what location and how frequent....there is the newly announced university campus....where and when will that be built and how does that impact the LRT.

As you said, the current council has seemingly killed the route that would take it right up main street........so why not take a pause, a deep breathe and figure out a few other things before leaping into a new/different route.

Thanks for the feedback. To that end, and not to get too much off-topic here, but the next Metrolinx Board meeting is this month. Hopefully we'll see some kind of update on AD2WWB (I've added west of Bramalea to the end) including the bypass.

Frankly, I think Council should sit on this for a couple of years....irrespective of what has happened before.

there are a couple of major issues facing the city and how those shape out could impact what is the right thing to do how to (if at all) extend the LRT. How is AD2W getting to Brampton in what form and what location and how frequent....there is the newly announced university campus....where and when will that be built and how does that impact the LRT.

As you said, the current council has seemingly killed the route that would take it right up main street........so why not take a pause, a deep breathe and figure out a few other things before leaping into a new/different route.

Here's Danforth and Woodbine, in 1915, with fresh streetcar tracks and the overhead wires completed. Mostly farmland, but getting medium-density, not low-density sprawl.

The road itself is unpaved, except for the streetcar tracks. Today, transit is forgotten and after the fact.

Once again, these posts from more than 100 years ago are not only irrelevant to this thread from a duration standpoint (that was a heck of a long time ago), but also from a geographical standpoint. That picture isn't even in Mississauga or Brampton which is the location relevant to the subject of this thread which is the Hurontario LRT.

I thought Brampton was told it was hurontario or nothing from the provincial government... are they going to pay out of their own city money now?

I thought Brampton was told it was hurontario or nothing from the provincial government... are they going to pay out of their own city money now?

The Minister said that they would only fund the Main Street portion and not the alternatives. When Council voted against, Main Street, the Minster said the $200-$400m (depending on how you do the math), would be put back into the "Moving Ontario Forward Fund" which is funding other Big Move GTHA transit projects. Here's an article from the time. Brampton in theory could reapply or ask for the portion to be spent on something else, like the Queen Street RT, but it's hard to say what will happen. Other municipalities obviously took notice (Cambridge, Toronto, Hamilton were mentioned in online articles) and we're getting close to an election.

Council has just voted to proceed with an LRT EA for Kennedy and McLaughlin routes. They both end, like the Main Street LRT did, at the Brampton GO Station, but obviously take different paths to access the station at the 'last mile' and for the new terminal station.

was there a cost sharing agreement for the original study? if so, was the reimbursement tied to implementation?

Maybe DKsan can detail this more but staff simply told Council there was a "verbal" agreement a few years ago - before the final HMLRT decision was known - on the costs. A lot of numbers were thrown around. I don't really understand what was promised or the amounts staff spoke about.

Back