Emphasis added

MISSISSAUGA — While speaking at the Mississauga Board of Trade today, Premier Doug Ford confirmed the government’s plan to extend the Hazel McCallion Light Rail Transit (LRT) by building the Mississauga loop and bringing the line into downtown Brampton. Premier Ford also confirmed the Ontario government’s support to enhance GO train service along the Milton line with two-way all-day service and urged the federal government to be a full funding partner.
“Our government is investing more than $70 billion over the next decade to lead the largest expansion of public transit in North America, including across Peel and Milton regions,” said Premier Doug Ford. “Alongside Highway 413 and the Bradford Bypass, our government has a plan to move Peel and Milton regions’ people and economy forward.”

Ontario has accepted the initial business case for the expansion of the Hazel McCallion LRT and is moving forward with this important project. The LRT will include a four-kilometre extension of the line into downtown Brampton via Main Street from the Brampton Gateway Terminal and a two-kilometre extension with a loop in Mississauga. The loop will connect LRT service to Square One with additional stops through to Confederation Parkway. The LRT will provide one of Canada’s quickest-growing cities with faster, more frequent and more reliable transit than the existing bus service, travelling in an exclusive right-of-way with signal priority at intersections.

Ontario is also calling on the federal government to agree to a cost-sharing partnership that will deliver all-day, two-way GO rail service along the Milton GO rail corridor by building a fully separated passenger rail line. The Milton GO rail corridor is the fourth busiest line on the GO network and serves as a vital transit connection between Milton, Mississauga and the rest of the Greater Golden Horseshoe. That is why Ontario is also planning to reinstate train trips, improve stations with new customer amenities such as expanding the south parking lot and a pedestrian bridge at Milton GO station, and advance the planning and design work to support future two-way, all-day service.

“Everyone in Ontario deserves access to reliable transit options that connect them to good-paying jobs and housing," said Prabmeet Sarkaria, Minister of Transportation. “The extension of the Hazel McCallion LRT and Milton GO rail corridor are essential next steps in our mission to get commuters where they need to go, when they need to be there. We urge the federal government to share in the cost of this critical project in Milton to meet the growing needs of this region.”
Over the next decade, Ontario is investing $70.5 billion to transform public transit in the province, the largest transit investment in Canadian history.

The LRT will include a four-kilometre extension of the line into downtown Brampton via Main Street from the Brampton Gateway Terminal and a two-kilometre extension with a loop in Mississauga. The loop will connect LRT service to Square One with additional stops through to Confederation Parkway. The LRT will provide one of Canada’s quickest-growing cities with faster, more frequent and more reliable transit than the existing bus service, travelling in an exclusive right-of-way with signal priority at intersections.
How does this compare with people's expectations?

I’m not sure pedestriantization makes sense for downtown Brampton, but am open to it. I think the proposal is an improvement.

For as long as I’ve known it downtown Brampton always felt down and out and missing energy. I suspect the issue is that there’s not enough people around, and as a result any stores rely on drive-in traffic - and there’s no specific reason to drive there as opposed to BCC, Trinity Commons, etc. It probably needs massive densification within walking distance.

Separately, I have never advocated for a tunneled alignment down Hurontario. It’s a waste of money.
1707428852437.png

Good news, this is the final version of the downtown Brampton MTSA, after a year of Sylvia fighting with them. Brown is High Density, the thick black line is the future grade separated crossing of the CN corridor via McMurchy.
There was a brief period, from about 2015-2019 where things were looking up. There were quirky businesses and restaurants setting up and Beaux Arts got a new director who was all for revving up the space. I think the pandemic basically killed the spark a bit.
It wasn't the pandemic that killed downtown Brampton, it was indecision by City Council, and plans to allow downtown to rot until it was to be destroyed with construction.

Feb 08
Late to night, Hurontario St north of Fairview Dr to Burnhamthorpe Rd will be strip and open to traffic. The centre lane will be blocked off. I don't know what happened at Fairview since I saw it on Tuesday, but the pavement has been removed along with some curb. The bus stop will remain there until the southside can be reopen, It paved to the driveway of the plaza now.

What is odd, there will be a right turning lane only at Burnhamthorpe that lines up with the northside lane.

I had a looked at the Queensway intersection today and there are issues with the widening of the southbound lane with things in the wrong locations than what the plan calls for. The white hats were taking photos of the area with the various markings pointed out and saying X is under it when it supposed to be a meter away. They have only got as far as the driveway to the retirement place and need to get to Sherokee or close to it to swing traffic back to the centre of the road to allow construction on the intersection. The rest of the southbound lane still needs to be done to the QEW.

Nothing is going on at Englewood intersection and nothing has changed since last year. The PC station is at roof level, and it is hard to see what is taking place.

Starting at 7 pm Friday until Monday at 5 am, Kerwin is close to traffic at Hurontario St to allow sewerage lines to be in installed.

The completion of the line is now scheduled to be completed late 2025 with service starting Spring/Summer of 2026 with a possibility of 2027 depending on the loop. Until it is known how the line will be built in Brampton, it's a guessing game. If it is tunneling, 2030+ could be when service starts there

Ontario is also calling on the federal government to agree to a cost-sharing partnership that will deliver all-day, two-way GO rail service along the Milton GO rail corridor by building a fully separated passenger rail line.

I'd say this is pretty big news. The province is willing to fund this project, as long as the feds are willing to cost share? Sounds like a done deal to me, given the swing seat nature of Mississauga and Milton

I'd say this is pretty big news. The province is willing to fund this project, as long as the feds are willing to cost share? Sounds like a done deal to me, given the swing seat nature of Mississauga and Milton
It’s really nice that this was reiterated (I thought it was quietly forgotten).

That said…didn’t the former federal Transportation Minister (Omar Alghabra) commit federal monies to this already? Seems like everyone has verbally committed at different times - too bad they don’t seem to be able to actually put pen to paper together and make it happen.

That said…didn’t the former federal Transportation Minister (Omar Alghabra) commit federal monies to this already? Seems like everyone has verbally committed at different times - too bad they don’t seem to be able to actually put pen to paper together and make it happen.
Election promises with ifs. My other problem is if everyone agrees is this going to have shovels in the ground or will my favourite bs term deferred spending come into play.

@sixrings There’s ongoing talk about this here:

Sounds like the money promised ($500M) is available, but the now additional $2.6B requested is not. My guess is that Metrolinx quoted the former minister the minimum necessary for some 2WAD service. Now Ontario is asking for the full shebang (I guess if you’re gonna do construction, why not go all the way?) That said, I agree with you that we won’t see an agreement on this given the price tag now.

Let’s take the conversation there.

Alghabra commented on Twitter that he had authorization to commit the federal government for half the cost of the $1.2B plan to enable 2WAD on Milton Line, but got no interest from the province at the time. I guess the challenge here will be how the cost ballooned to $6B (what changed from a scope/cost perspective) and whether the feds are willing to pony up for that higher price tag.

I know this seems a bit off-topic for Hurontario LRT but Milton being upgraded to 2WAD will have huge implications for the utility of the LRT line. Line 2 subway extension go home.

Alghabra commented on Twitter that he had authorization to commit the federal government for half the cost of the $1.2B plan to enable 2WAD on Milton Line, but got no interest from the province at the time. I guess the challenge here will be how the cost ballooned to $6B (what changed from a scope/cost perspective) and whether the feds are willing to pony up for that higher price tag.

I know this seems a bit off-topic for Hurontario LRT but Milton being upgraded to 2WAD will have huge implications for the utility of the LRT line. Line 2 subway extension go home.
If the GO train stays on the same route Mississauga councillors better start upzoning dundas and hurontario because like it or not that’s where a lot of people will want to live.

I am not sure if I’ve seen it officially mentioned that the plan is to have the loop going up Confederation pkwy. If so, I think it is a better choice.

Interesting. I hadn't notice that change.

Here's (#6,663) what was posted earlier about the original Loop. HT @superior_chromatic

1707516148920.png

This was a Hurontario Roll Plan from 2017 (still on the City's website) that showed it on Duke of York:

1707516201156.png

Now with yesterday's news about Confederation, the Loop gets bigger. Have there been any Mississauga staff reports/drawings showing the use of Confederation? Blue = Hurontario LRT before the news; Green: Loop before the 2018 cut (track plan above); Red = yesterday's news.

1707516315889.png

I am not sure if I’ve seen it officially mentioned that the plan is to have the loop going up Confederation pkwy. If so, I think it is a better choice.
It is the best option as it is next to Parkside Village and close to M City. There is a huge development plan for the northeast corner of Burnhamthorpe and Confederation. At some future date, the southeast corner will be redeveloped replacing the existing office tower that that is only haft the size as to what it was to be in the first place with a lot of empty space on the southside of it.

It also connects with the development of Sq On land that is currently seeing the first of two phases for the southeast corner of Rathburn and Confederation. Still a lot of empty space to see development.

You have also have the land on the south side of the The Exchange District has to be developed along with another phase of Sq One land next phase to see development on the east side of The Exchange District.

I have opposed this loop from day one as it opens the door to longer travel time for riders who have no need for MCC in the first place to the point splitting the line in two like it is today that will add more travel time.

One the Milton Line sees all day service, the folks up in the Eglinton area will drive to the GO Station that take the LRT unless there is service that bypass MCC in the first place and it must happen. More so once that plaza starts to see redevelopment after the first nine towers that will ring it are built along with two other large development sites.

We should see an EA for the extension by the summer and don't expect to see service on the Loop until 2027 based on what I have heard as well looking at a time frame to build it once approval is done.

The loop will be a grade level to match the current surface plan.

Back