Expectations:

It's a huge site. They should be aiming for downtown-levels of density, retail, transit and street grid.

Reality:

1585093311015.png

The land use regulations will be updated and with the airport deactivated, I would expect or predict a mixed use OP designation at minimum for much of the lands.

Last edited:
Northcrest Developments' website has a pretty nice view overlooking Downsview:

My first 2 modest proposals.

Create a direct alignment for Sheppard Avenue West through the site.

This allows an E-W mainstreet w/o having to force out every existing business on Sheppard.

It's a more direct route.

Existing alignment stays, but is renamed and becomes a big crescent " Downsview Park Blvd" with lavish landscaping.

Second, connect Dufferin to Dufferin/Allen Rd.

Creates a N-S spine for the new community, improves efficient movement for pedestrians, cyclists, transit and cars.

Existing Allen Rd. south-east of the connection point no longer interchanges with or continues across the 401 and floats as an independent street under a new name.
1590031677168.png

Suggestion three: (though not on the property due for redevelopment, it's the best bang-for the buck- enhancement for nature and people)

Connect the Downsview Dells Park trail which currently stops just 50m west of Keele to Downsview Park.

Ideally, with a wildlife crossing either culvert/bridge; or wildlife bridge.

The park pond already drains under Keele in a pipe that leads to that trail.

1590036262422.png

Suggestion three: (though not on the property due for redevelopment, it's the best bang-for the buck- enhancement for nature and people)

Connect the Downsview Dells Park trail which currently stops just 50m west of Keele to Downsview Park.

Ideally, with a wildlife crossing either culvert/bridge; or wildlife bridge.

The park pond already drains under Keele in a pipe that leads to that trail.

View attachment 246585
Both interesting posts. Make sure you participate in the online consultation!! There’s no substitute for specific feedback like this.

If Dufferin is to be used for a bus corridor from the CNE up to Wilson Ave., it might make sense to extend the corridor north along Beffort Road then to the Downsview Park GO station, providing a connection to that GO line into York Region.

The comments made to-date and posted to the map there are largely constructive and non-NIMBY. Let's keep it that way - I encourage you all to participate.

The use of the map a very interesting model for consultation. There is an upvote feature for comments that you agree with, so it is worth participating in that manner, even if you do not have tons to add yourself.

The comments made to-date and posted to the map there are largely constructive and non-NIMBY. Let's keep it that way - I encourage you all to participate.

The use of the map a very interesting model for consultation. There is an upvote feature for comments that you agree with, so it is worth participating in that manner, even if you do not have tons to add yourself.
There should be a large park at the intersection of the runway and absolutely no traffic should be allowed to pass through, except for bikes and buses. Dedicated bus lanes should be built north-south and east-west for BRT service continuous to Dufferin St and beyond.

There should be a large park at the intersection of the runway and absolutely no traffic should be allowed to pass through, except for bikes and buses. Dedicated bus lanes should be built north-south and east-west for BRT service continuous to Dufferin St and beyond.

It's probably too much surface area to do in full, but part of me thinks it could be neat to use the runway as a pedestrian-and-bike-only spine; a bit Tempelhof-y but lined with retail and connecting to other public spaces. Even if that's not the thing, I like the idea of prominently integrating the former use into an aspect of the overall site design that is more than just an interpretive public art piece or whatever.

Back