I love the firehouse clock tower and realize its previous location above the heritage buildings was awkward, but that new positioning is not much better. That clock tower would look a lot better a bit south at 429 Yonge Street where the pedestrian only section leads to Granby Street as shown here:

View attachment 428931

Source: Google Streetview

I'm inclined to disagree. I'm not a fan, in general, of decontextualizing history. Sometimes it works, but mostly, I think buildings should stay in their original spot, or as close as practical, in order to convey what a spot/corner may have looked like, in part, for a very long time, and how that history related to what was around it.

Now, I'm quite happy to agree that this history here is somewhat decontextualized as is; but I would have chosen a different solution; I would have preferred to see the original fire hall facade rebuilt, and the original station, to the depth of the clock tower's locale. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that this would a functioning firehall, the space could certainly be repurposed as retail; further, I'm not suggesting the tower would not be built, merely re-sited and sculpted to accommodate the 'feel'/'appearance' of the original firehall within the podium.

Last edited:
September 21, 2022:

IMG_5938.jpeg
IMG_5939.jpeg
IMG_5940.jpeg

Credit to QuadReal for making the construction hoarding a history of LGBTQ+ discrimination connected to this site. And the rainbow spire on the restored fire hall tower. Nice to see a developer acknowledge the history of the site they're building on. Now, hopefully they don't go and rent the space to Chik-Fil-A or something when it opens.

Credit to QuadReal for making the construction hoarding a history of LGBTQ+ discrimination connected to this site. And the rainbow spire on the restored fire hall tower. Nice to see a developer acknowledge the history of the site they're building on. Now, hopefully they don't go and rent the space to Chik-Fil-A or something when it opens.
I'll be sorely tempted to be there throwing eggs if they do. Now that would be a fun reversal of the fates. (Gay men used to get eggs thrown at them going in and out of the place.)
Actually, it would be nifty if someone opened a commemorative and perky gay bar there. It'd do well with Buddies/Tallulah's Cabaret just up across the way.

I can't quite tell from these photos, but did they not center that spandrel/neutral expanse behind the tower? It looks slightly to one side. Ack!

I'll be sorely tempted to be there throwing eggs if they do. Now that would be a fun reversal of the fates. (Gay men used to get eggs thrown at them going in and out of the place.)
Actually, it would be nifty if someone opened a commemorative and perky gay bar there. It'd do well with Buddies/Tallulah's Cabaret just up across the way.

I can't quite tell from these photos, but did they not center that spandrel/neutral expanse behind the tower? It looks slightly to one side. Ack!
No spandrel there. It's all vision glazing / Juliette balconies.

Back