A reminder of the original firehall, (with some minor additions); this would be pre-1929 when it was decommissioned.

1701194596022.png

"Here it was a gay time". Definitely referring to its' days as St. Charles Tavern. I can't find "Meet me under the clock" yet, I am sure it's going to be there in some form.

AoD
It seems to read in columns, left to right:

Welcome to what was once the gay st charles
I am your maitre d', i am the clock in the tower
Oh the things i could tell you about the bar

etc. Fun! I love this.

Things I note in the picture right away........... a Hughs-Owens outpost.

Streelight poles that have just had their street lights removed as the City has just installed building-mounted streetlights.

No trees in front of the relatively recent build, of the Westbury Hotel, which most here would probably remember as a Howard Johnsons; or as a Marriott.

Off in the distance one can see the now heritage building at Yonge/St. Mary, when it was new 'ish.

One can also spot a raft of TV antennas!

What a great streetscape (aside from the lack of trees)! I'd love to walk along there and explore.

(Setting aside the impossibility of time travel, of course, and that back then I couldn't walk down the street without being assaulted and/or thrown in jail)

What a great streetscape (aside from the lack of trees)! I'd love to walk along there and explore.

(Setting aside the impossibility of time travel, of course, and that back then I couldn't walk down the street without being assaulted and/or thrown in jail)
Ah, yes...the good old days. When things where "simpler". /bleh

Aesthetically, pre-1980 were the glory years for cars. Look at a parking lot today and it's a sea of boring generic vehicles in boring generic colours.

It’s the two tone two color cars that I like. What a relief from the grey suv’s that are everywhere now.
multi-coloured cars are actually having a bit of a comeback right now from my understanding. Not to the extent of the 1950's obviously, but people are buying more colourful cars than in the last few decades.

Back