Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at Thursday Jul 4, 2013 10.56.13 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at Thursday Jul 4, 2013 10.56.13 AM.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at Thursday Jul 4, 2013 10.56.26 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at Thursday Jul 4, 2013 10.56.26 AM.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,585
Would anyone know what effect this proposed building's proximity to the rail corridor would have for its residents ?

I imagine it would cause some shaking of the structure, and the noise would definitely be an issue. I live not far from there and the train can disrupt a phone conversation if the window is open, even from much further away. I certainly wouldn't want to purchase a unit on the South side of these towers, that's for sure.

On a more positive note, I notice there is a rather vague reference to Tridel having "Initiated discussions with the city" to replace an existing stairwell associated with the site's current use as a commuter parking lot" with a pedestrian bridge over the rail line and directly to Islington station. I don't think its clear who's idea that was, or who's responsibility such a footbridge would be.

My daily trek to the station would be much nicer if I didnt have to descend that narrow, graffiti-ridden concrete stairwell ...

Presumably they'll build it in a way to minimize vibrations from the rail corridor: Tridel gets high marks for its consumer experience, so they're not likely to want to jeopardize their reputation with shoddy construction.

No news yet on the subway connection. We may have to wait for the marketing phase to get that info.

Cordova (Islington Parking lot, Tridel)

Tridel has bought the north Cordova parking lot from Built Toronto for $16m as well have a 5 year lease on 20m of land for the Legion land on Bloor St to house a sales office & Parking.

TTC approved to declare Legion land a surplus and turn it over to Built Toronto. This will have a major impact on Mississauga Transit as this is the temporary location while the original terminal is torn down and having a new terminal built at Kipling that may never get built because of Hydro One. If Hydro One stays with the current plan for a new substation at Kipling, TTC will loose its kiss & ride area as well.

The towers are now rejigged, mostly higher.

Instead of 32, 45, and 36 storeys, the new
plan is for 35, 45, and 38.

Height: 114, 144, and 123 metres.
374, 472, and 403 feet.

Section 37 requirements include a rebuilding of the pedestrian staircase and the addition of a ramp linking the Islington Ave. west side sidewalk below the rail tracks with grade level at Cordova Ave. This is to be built before an above-grade building permit will be issued for the development (excepting a sales centre). That's good: the current staircase is pretty awful and is not accessible.

I imagine that the excavation here will have dewatering issues: an underground creek has plagued Islington subway station immediately to the south for years, leaving stains in a few areas.

Islington Terrace (Cordova and Mabelle, Tridel, 3x45s?, ?)

Tridel bought the Cordova TTC parking lots to construct 3 buildings - 45 storeys high (not sure if it is for all 3 buildings).
Just steps away from the Islington Subway station. They claim this planned community will be modern in design but looks another boxy building to me.
This condo will have ground floor retails... now something new brought to this area.

condo.jpg

Attachments

• condo.jpg
    condo.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,542
Would anyone know what effect this proposed building's proximity to the rail corridor would have for its residents ?

I imagine it would cause some shaking of the structure, and the noise would definitely be an issue. I live not far from there and the train can disrupt a phone conversation if the window is open, even from much further away. I certainly wouldn't want to purchase a unit on the South side of these towers, that's for sure.

People in CityPlace and Liberty Village have been living right on rail lines for years and don't have many issues with it. I don't think it will be problem here either.

Hoarding going up - Islington Terrace

20140812_075923 (1).jpg

Also gives you an idea what the view out the lobby will be like, I'll leave it up to the viewers to judge if that's good or bad. Looking North, Cordova is on the right.

Attachments

• 20140812_075923 (1).jpg
    20140812_075923 (1).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,163

Back