They are hand laid bricks, but the bricks themselves are really really big compared to the size of the bricks on the historic facade (almost block sized). It's a small detail, but I do wish they had used the same size stock for the additions.
Are they not hand laid in blocks and then hoisted into place as a large slab of laid brick?

On this page you can see how thin the "brick" is in certain places (3/4 down the page) Not saying the whole building is like this as I believe there are three types on that building. hand laid, prefab (pressed concrete pattern) and totally fake.
Not sure the process they are using on this building as I haven't gone back through the thread, but probably one of these. Fairly common these days.

You end up with something blocky like this .... and it looks terrible
Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 4.00.16 PM.png

You end up with something blocky like this .... and it looks terribleView attachment 206040

Those are required for drainage, thermal breaks and support for the bricks. In the article attached bricks can only be supported so high 50ft (15m) before needing a support angle (structure) to continue and basically repeat the next 50ft. At this point you have a break in the fascade and need flashing to let the water that has penetrated behind the brick out, which is usually at these points. If you look at most highrise brick buildings these are there. Some more visible than others.

I am sure I am missing some information as well.
I do agree it isn't the prettiest thing to look at, but better than a failing exterior system. :)

Ok. That was very insightful. Those gaps are something I don't notice in most older buildings though. But, if for the sake of regulation, it has to be, then it has to be......

Pics taken May 1, 2018

OkJGYu6.jpg

C5843fY.jpg

EhEGuna.jpg
That's a different project(?).

Go a couple of pages back. You can see plenty of pictures of the scaffolding and elevated stages for hand laying here.

Yes, a different project. Was just stating that exterior brick walls are not always laid by hand brick. The photo above shows them installing "brick" columns.
Was just trying to be informative.

Not impressed particularly . Looks like no retail or restaurant on the lower floors which is a drag considering the sizeable space it takes up and the fabric of the area....

Not impressed particularly . Looks like no retail or restaurant on the lower floors which is a drag considering the sizeable space it takes up and the fabric of the area....

From a post I made a while back:
I didn't realize how many retail/restaurant spaces would come with this development - can't wait to see what goes here!

View attachment 175744
^5-8 retail/restaurant spaces depending on the dividing walls it looks like

Really... I walk by this every day, and can't see it..... however, I've never looked at the master plan. 5-8 would be amazing.

Back