Aug 04
9454402187_07196b46a9_b.jpg

9457167032_79889406ed_b.jpg

9454393671_c6405d0e83_b.jpg

This building is about as bland as it gets. It's basically just a glass box with no decoration or distinction at all. This is the cold, sterile kind of building most people hate, including myself. To put this in St. Lawrence is even more painful.

Thanks for the pics, drum118! I go to night school at George Brown and pass by this site and have been meaning to take pics. Looks like they will start to excavate soon.

This building is about as bland as it gets. It's basically just a glass box with no decoration or distinction at all. This is the cold, sterile kind of building most people hate, including myself. To put this in St. Lawrence is even more painful.

Well whoop-de-doo.

You make it sound as though something nefarious was / is afoot. The Provincial growth strategy directs new development to sites exactly like this one. 'The City and the neighbourhood association' chose to ignore this. They were overruled.

This is another example of a development that the City and the neighbourhood association opposed in its current form but which was approved by the OMB.

But this WAS not opposed due to the design from what I recall !! Making this argument silly.

Correct me if I am wrong

re: the bland design in St. Lawrence, I've long grown tired of worrying about this. This city is way too focused on money and modernism to actually appreciate an old neighbourhood left to the past. I'm not trying to argue this is necessarily bad but it would've been nice if we could have tried to keep St. Lawrence looking and feeling like an old neighbourhood instead of our tendency to randomly throw modern buildings into old areas.

Back