I happened to be looking at the Metrolinx page for this station and saw this rendering of a King St / High Line entrance that I hadn't seen before. Sorry if this isn't new and I'd just missed it before!

RER_-_KL_RENDERINGS_-_2023_AUGUST_23_Page_23_Image_0001.jpg
"King Station" 💩

I happened to be looking at the Metrolinx page for this station and saw this rendering of a King St / High Line entrance that I hadn't seen before. Sorry if this isn't new and I'd just missed it before!

RER_-_KL_RENDERINGS_-_2023_AUGUST_23_Page_23_Image_0001.jpg
Thanks for posting this.

Given the height of the new structure, I guess we're looking at a bridge to the platform. I had assumed it would be a tunnel, which would have meant passengers entering from King would have potentially had a single set of stairs/elevators up to the platform from street level. Instead it'll be an elevator two levels up, a walk across a bridge, then stairs or elevator one level down. Too bad.

Euch, what a terrible design. The shade of silver-grey they use here reminds me of the hydrogen peroxide induced discoloration on the Toronto Rocket door.

When is this stupid trend of using dark or otherwise lifeless colours in architecture going to die?

This is the other one on the Metrolinx page, which may also be new (though not a whole entrance we haven't seen before. Some additional detail, though.

RER_-_KL_RENDERINGS_-_2023_AUGUST_23_Page_14_Image_0001.jpg
Also confirms that they did shift the bridge position west by about 100m. Very disappointing. Original alignment was going to make this a pretty direct pedestrian crossover point between Queen (via Abell) and King (Joe Shuster). The new positioning has both access points on two dead-end streets/driveways. adding about 200m extra for those walking between Queen and King.

Also confirms that they did shift the bridge position west by about 100m. Very disappointing. Original alignment was going to make this a pretty direct pedestrian crossover point between Queen (via Abell) and King (Joe Shuster). The new positioning has both access points on two dead-end streets/driveways. adding about 200m extra for those walking between Queen and King.
The devil is in the details, but I think I like this might be better for the southern entrance. There appears to be surplus room on the rail overpass which would allow people in liberty village to access the station from the bridge. It's also more central to the density on that side of the tracks. Definitely worse for the northern entrance though.

The devil is in the details, but I think I like this might be better for the southern entrance. There appears to be surplus room on the rail overpass which would allow people in liberty village to access the station from the bridge. It's also more central to the density on that side of the tracks. Definitely worse for the northern entrance though.

Access to the platforms is one thing but pedestrians who want to simply go between King and Queen are now forced to walk an extended U shape, made even longer by only having stairs facing West.

Having Abell and Joe Shuster being connected in a straight shot was a nice convenience of the previous design.

I wonder what the reason was for bridge being moved

$$$

it lowers overall project costs by allowing for a shorter bridge and puts the bridge beside where the station building is on the north side, I suspect. The old location was definitely better though. Not sure why the station building can't be located on 99 Sudbury either given that Metrolinx owns it..

Access to the platforms is one thing but pedestrians who want to simply go between King and Queen are now forced to walk an extended U shape, made even longer by only having stairs facing West.

Having Abell and Joe Shuster being connected in a straight shot was a nice convenience of the previous design.

probobly not a high pririty for metolinks comapored to paasgegers paying fare and boarding trains

probobly not a high pririty for metolinks comapored to paasgegers paying fare and boarding trains

Probably giving too much credit to them but Metrolinx, as a government entity that's tasked with transporting people across the province, should definitely care. End of the day the people they serve aren't paying passengers but the residents of Ontario.

Probably giving too much credit to them but Metrolinx, as a government entity that's tasked with transporting people across the province, should definitely care. End of the day the people they serve aren't paying passengers but the residents of Ontario.
Metrolink serves the people who are paying to use their services and not people who want a short cut through a station. If you aren't paying to board a train they don't care about you.. They are tasked with providing a service to transport people by train or bus and walking across a bridge without doing either isn't a priority for them because people who are doing that aren't paying for a service that they provide.

Metrolink serves the people who are paying to use their services and not people who want a short cut through a station. If you aren't paying to board a train they don't care about you.. They are tasked with providing a service to transport people by train or bus and walking across a bridge without doing either isn't a priority for them because people who are doing that aren't paying for a service that they provide.

I can't put words in their mouths and verify that "they don't care about you" if you don't pay but I can quote their own mission statement to "connect communities". A problem with Toronto transportation is how agencies/departments can be indifferent to other forms of transportation not directly related to their project.

This bridge's primary purpose may be to bring passengers to a GO station but it can just as well be used as a quick connection between the Queen and King streetcar when one is out of service.

1703266721800.png

It seems that the goal of the stations entrances were to maximize the service area of the station (to make it closer to more customers) and not to maximize neighbourhood connectivity. The one entrance provides an excellent connection to Liberty Village and Atlantic @ King, the other entrance plays the balance of serving King, Dufferin, Queen, and Dovercourt in a balanced way by being in the middle. Both entrances can serve Allan Lamport stadium fairly well.

Back