To think, people used to say that "we have to demolish all the heritage buildings to give the architect a blank slate if we want something iconic and spectacular".

Interesting trend here. I was in the Sales Centre today helping out a friend choose a unit. Due to the higher than expected demand for 2 and 3 bedroom units, they have been forced in the last couple of weeks to combine units to make whole new floorplans to meet the demand. As well, I was told that they are seeing a high number of folks in the architectural field purchasing units. Other interesting tidbit is that someone has purchased an entire floor on the south mountain and combining it to make a super unit. Lots of wealth flowing into King Toronto it appears. I wonder if Tridel/Rudy Wallman are watching closely to see how to layout the units for the Well across the street on the south side of Wellington.

Interesting trend here. I was in the Sales Centre today helping out a friend choose a unit. Due to the higher than expected demand for 2 and 3 bedroom units, they have been forced in the last couple of weeks to combine units to make whole new floorplans to meet the demand. As well, I was told that they are seeing a high number of folks in the architectural field purchasing units. Other interesting tidbit is that someone has purchased an entire floor on the south mountain and combining it to make a super unit. Lots of wealth flowing into King Toronto it appears. I wonder if Tridel/Rudy Wallman are watching closely to see how to layout the units for the Well across the street on the south side of Wellington.

Good to hear that these are selling well.

From Toronto Star article:
"When units go on sale to the public in the first quarter of 2019 , one-bedrooms will start at $660,000 and go as high as $1.3 million."
source
They got the start of the sales and apparently the price all wrong. I guess we can now officially categorize Toronto Star as fake news. A one-bedroom in a luxury condo in the heart of the Fashion District can't possibly go for just $660K, can it? One thing is for sure, Toronto Star readers will be shocked to find out that all units are sold out by the time they line up at the sales office doors in Q1 2019.

The prices stated is probably outdated.
The first release (East and North peaks) had studio units starting at about $700k. This release is now almost 80% sold.
The South peak was just launched with a price increase of about $100/sq.ft.
The last release, the West peak will be launched after the new year and will see another $100/sq.ft. increase on top of the South peak. This is also when the sales centre will be open to the public — right now sales are through agents.

Another Toronto Star hit piece aimed at King Toronto:
"Even Bjarke Ingels, the Danish architect who made his name with a series of innovative and attractive residential buildings in Copenhagen, has designed a condo slab on King St. W. that seems more intent on maximizing the number of units than in doing what’s right for the site and the city. Illustrations show a scheme that enthusiastically overwhelms the heritage neighbourhood it occupies. Even the metaphors Ingels uses to describe the complex, which he calls a series of “mountains,” indicates just how out of touch his scheme is. "
source
Someone at TS really has a hard on for hating on this project for absolutely no good reason

Last edited:
The whole piece is just projectile vomiting his bad taste in architecture onto his readers. I bet it is out of touch people just like like Christopher Hume who made up the DRP panel that fought this proposal tooth and nail. Luckily good architecture prevailed in the end.

I am frustrated by the meaningless generalizations about the buildings, blaming architects exclusively for things. His readers must think that architects simply point at heritage buildings, wave a magic wand, and a redevelopment occurs without a ton of other people (including the actual developers) and processes involved. Totally unhelpful and worse than useless.

Back