concrete is progressing nicely and the overall massing is really starting to shine but it is really odd that the façade panels are so far behind. i wonder if they are experience production issues?

concrete is progressing nicely and the overall massing is really starting to shine but it is really odd that the façade panels are so far behind. i wonder if they are experience production issues?
The supplier for the glass panels went out of business. They are in the process of finding another supplier.

IMG_5139.jpeg

Definitely look like new brackets (Note: Edited for David Capizzano's post below - brackets for brick, not glazing). Some closer up photos - the brackets (look like good sized ones) are in place along the second floor slab sections by both access gates. Also a photo of forming sections being moved up to a new level at the north-west corner of the building:

1000003312.jpg

1000003313.jpg

20240201_121303.jpg

And at the west access gate:

1000003311.jpg

Forming sections on the move up - north west corner of the building:

1000003310.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003309.jpg
    1000003309.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Silly question time: Are glass blocks considered a brick?

I'm not sure about that one lol

If you look closely edges of the slab on the upper pixelated bits, you can see the curtain wall anchors cast into the concrete where the panels will eventually be mounted to

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 6.21.49 PM.png

I am pretty sure the horizontal metal thing that's being installed to the left is meant to support the rebuilt heritage side wall

king-street-west_render_03.jpg

As far as I know, a large quantity of curtainwall for this is still sitting in storage amidst a payment dispute over the fabricator's bankruptcy. Not going to be any signs of curtainwall here until that eventually gets resolved
Exactly right. There are significant quantities of metal, glass, fabricated frames, etc. It complicates bringing new people on board, because they will obviously price it high, as no one wants to deal with trying to sort so much material and drawings. It is easier to start fresh.

Westbank has been looking overseas for a new fabricator, as well.

Last edited:
I guess it'll be a math question for everyone involved. If the storage guys want to hold out for the whole amount they may end up getting nothing but the scrap value. If Westbank et al (they're not the only ones with material there) don't pay the storage guys they end up having to re-tender it. And I think the storage guys are unwilling to break up the inventory by project because they have more leverage this way. It's a lousy situation for everyone

Wouldn't be a fun job for an overseas supplier, either. Going to be tough for anyone to make money here

Back