Those were some very early plans that have changed a lot since. The office space is gone, I'm almost certain of.

It'll still have two lobbies as the drive aisle hasn't been moved off of Hughson, so the lobbies can't be connected.

Not sure on the configuration of the internal drive space within the block. This building has quite a bit of parking in it however, including several levels of commercial parking from my understanding, so I wouldn't be surprised if internal vehicle circulation is still taking up a decent chunk of space.

Looking at those plans, the King St space is about 3,500sf, and unlikely to have changed in size much since then. Winners generally needs at least 3x that area from my understanding, for reference.
Keep in mind these aren't just single floor retail areas - each one has a set of stairs in it so they could take up 2 or 3 floors.

I believe these plans also showed quite a bit of the parking being above ground, and I don't think it showed any underground, so that will have changed the internal layouts too.
the plans show "down" on the first picture so they factored in underground parking even then.

Also those proposed units were TINY...

also I've so been impatiently waiting for SOMETHING to go into the olympia club first floor so I can finally see those original art deco railings and mezzanine up close! I still marvel how they've turned the shittiest decaying buildings on king and king william/james and blossomed them into something beautiful. Gotta keep all we have, or replicate that which has been stripped off.

Core urban, please reconstruct the 2/3s of the building face that is missing under the giant signage closer to king and james and take that god awful signage off! HOW they were allowed to do this to a building this beautiful is BEYOND me.. The 1/3 that is left is so.. substantial and beautiful - esp with the silver paint they added :)

probably have to wait for that money mart to close up first..
1695979790228.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m all for a “mini-No Frills” or something like that right in the heart of downtown. I mean, who wants to trek to the suburbs for basic groceries? It’s great to have options like Deningers and Alamin Butcher Shop, but we need something more comprehensive too.

Exactly. I actually really love Barton Lettuce and wish they had a spot closer to us. They've got the essential produce, eggs and bread. It's be nice to have a full sized grocer, but I think people overestimate the size a grocer needs to be downtown to have most of what you need affordably. Not many small grocers nowadays though so the assumption is that it needs a big box store.

Thanks for the picture! Do those lights on the lower levels signify occupants?
I don't believe so. I think occupancy is early 2024. I think the lights are so that finishing work can be completed, usually started from bottom to top. I can't tell though if they're done, but they look pretty close on the floors with lights.

Didn't get a photo because my hands were hurting from the cold, but trees have been planted along the northern sidewalk. Looking they're getting close to reopening the sidewalk along this edge of the development.

Indeed, the leaf-less trees Chris referenced are visible in this drone photo from ssp. Looks like the King William sidewalks are near completion while the Hughson sidewalks are just beginning.

Funny observation is that while most apartments across every floor will have lovely, unobscured views, one very noteworthy exception is the second above-podium level on the south tower facing the Olympia office building. Sad times for whoever ends up living there!

hughson.jpg

seems odd to place the soil beds them so close to the building as opposed to being on the other side of the sidewalk where they can grow big and not interfere with the building.. unless it's just for flowerbeds..

^I think the smaller squares right up against the road are where the trees are. I'm assuming those bigger ones right up against the building will just be shrub/flowers :)

Hrmm doesn't seem like a very big area for trees circumference wise, but it's hard to tell from this elevation. At least they have places for them..

I wonder if the front part will be used for patios and such.. seems odd they wouldn't factor that in since there is literally restaurants all along the other wise spilling into the roadway because there isn't enough room..

Hrmm doesn't seem like a very big area for trees circumference wise, but it's hard to tell from this elevation. At least they have places for them..

I wonder if the front part will be used for patios and such.. seems odd they wouldn't factor that in since there is literally restaurants all along the other wise spilling into the roadway because there isn't enough room..
They have larger space below the ground for the trees roots typically. I do think the flower beds are an odd placement considering patios might want to use that space. The renders showed patios, so I'm surprised to see flower beds right where the patios would be.

I also think some along the road instead would be smarter and they could have been rain gardens or bioswales.

Off-topic.... that "other forum" is down AGAIN for like the 20th time this month alone! Was is happening over there? On-topic I can't wait to see this podium fully opened and occupied, what an amazing addition to this area!

Off-topic.... that "other forum" is down AGAIN for like the 20th time this month alone! Was is happening over there? On-topic I can't wait to see this podium fully opened and occupied, what an amazing addition to this area!
It's a big reason I'm spending a lot more time over here. That and the significantly better photo upload features.

I also cannot wait for King William to not be under construction and for everything to be reopened, especially next summer. Know my luck the old Zellers lot will start right after (not likely though).

It's a big reason I'm spending a lot more time over here. That and the significantly better photo upload features.

I also cannot wait for King William to not be under construction and for everything to be reopened, especially next summer. Know my luck the old Zellers lot will start right after (not likely though).
Ironically, the King William strip will still be surrounded on all sides by construction for the next decade with the LRT, City Center redevelopment, design district, and the Rebecca.

Back