AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
CentreCourt have acquired 5251 Dundas St W, the SW corner at Aukland Rd. It's steps away from Kipling station and looks poised to be a future highrise condo site.

kipauk.JPG
kipauk2.JPG

Huh??

This thing is literally as close as you can get to a major hydro corridor, to which Hydro One detests anything being built around. I would love to see the explanation/rationale if a high-rise was allowed to be built on this site, but yet a bus terminal had to relocated further then initially planned due to Hydro One being vehemently opposed to having one built close to its corridor.

Huh??

This thing is literally as close as you can get to a major hydro corridor, to which Hydro One detests anything being built around. I would love to see the explanation/rationale if a high-rise was allowed to be built on this site, but yet a bus terminal had to relocated further then initially planned due to Hydro One being vehemently opposed to having one built close to its corridor.
The MiWay bus terminal was relocated to beside the hydro r.o.w. instead of under it. That said, I don't know how close hydro like high-rise development, or if they can push something away from beyond their corridor anyway.

Huh??

The MiWay bus terminal was relocated to beside the hydro r.o.w. instead of under it. That said, I don't know how close hydro like high-rise development, or if they can push something away from beyond their corridor anyway.

On hydro:

For doing things within the corridor: See the below: (no buildings)

For adjacency to typical wiring (not the transmission towers) See this:

https://www.hydroone.com/residentialservices_/Documents/Building-Near-Powerlines.pdf (4.8M setback required)

For high-voltage, there's actually a lot of info (don't have the time to extract it at the moment) in the planning docs for the Queesway Hospital Expansion which abuts said type of corridor.

Hmmm, site is ~13,000ft2 and change..........not large, but large enough....

Looks (don't hold me to this, shadows and angles are a thing)......... like about 40M from the property line to the nearest pylon-attached wire.

ZBA application submitted:

Development Applications

Project description:
That will make it the highest so far applied for in the area… and I wonder if this is going to be proposed with a smaller than normal floorplate so as to stay further from the hydro corridor, and therefore pushing what would otherwise be lost density (similar to the 40-storey Station Place across the street) up higher. CentreCourt have experience with reduced floorplates at Grid Condos. That building has 620m² floorplates compared to Toronto's typical 750m². I could also see that the side facing the hydro corridor here might be without balconies…

I'll look forward to seeing the documents posted for this one, I'm quite curious about it…

On hydro:

For doing things within the corridor: See the below: (no buildings)

For adjacency to typical wiring (not the transmission towers) See this:

https://www.hydroone.com/residentialservices_/Documents/Building-Near-Powerlines.pdf (4.8M setback required)

For high-voltage, there's actually a lot of info (don't have the time to extract it at the moment) in the planning docs for the Queesway Hospital Expansion which abuts said type of corridor.
Very interesting finds @Northern Light. So at a base, this is what Hydro One requires:

An unhindered, minimum 6-metre wide access path to facilities on the corridor must be provided for maintenance vehicles. A 15-metre clear working radius around transmission structures is required in order to maintain access for vehicles carrying out routine maintenance. A 3-metre radius around each tower footing must be left unpaved for access to the footing.

My investigation skills in city documents arent as good as yours so I cant pull up all those docs, the most I found for the Trillium Sherway Expansion were these:

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-147600.pdf (May 2020 Zoning By-law Amendment Application – Preliminary Report)

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-170239.pdf (140, 150, 160, 170, 190 and 220 Sherway Drive – Zoning By-law Amendment Application and Holding (H) Symbol – Final Report)

I find it hard to believe Hydro One would allow this to fly, I dont think there's precedent anywhere for having a high-rise development this close to one of their most critical transmission lines. Heck i'm even surprised they havent said anything about the proposals on Jopling Ave.

Very interesting finds @Northern Light. So at a base, this is what Hydro One requires:

An unhindered, minimum 6-metre wide access path to facilities on the corridor must be provided for maintenance vehicles. A 15-metre clear working radius around transmission structures is required in order to maintain access for vehicles carrying out routine maintenance. A 3-metre radius around each tower footing must be left unpaved for access to the footing.

My investigation skills in city documents arent as good as yours so I cant pull up all those docs, the most I found for the Trillium Sherway Expansion were these:

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-147600.pdf (May 2020 Zoning By-law Amendment Application – Preliminary Report)

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-170239.pdf (140, 150, 160, 170, 190 and 220 Sherway Drive – Zoning By-law Amendment Application and Holding (H) Symbol – Final Report)

I find it hard to believe Hydro One would allow this to fly, I dont think there's precedent anywhere for having a high-rise development this close to one of their most critical transmission lines. Heck i'm even surprised they havent said anything about the proposals on Jopling Ave.

From the latter document, we know what distance IS acceptable:

The building would be on an angle from the hydro corridor to maximize the distance of
patient windows and views from the building to the corridor. The northwest corner of
the proposed building would be 16.9 m away from the hydro corridor property line

Not clear is how much less distance would be accepted.

Also of note, the building was designed to keep the patient rooms further way from the hydro pylons within the building layout.

The most comprehensive, credible report I have thus far found on EMF and development/corridor usages in the City is a City report from The Board of Health dated 2008.

On hydro corridor adjacent development, it has this to say:

1640374438404.png

Last edited:
Dec 31
Held off posting until I took some shots of the site since I pass it on my trips to/from Kipling Station and wanted to reconfirm what I knew.

There are a number of issues for the site. The address is odd as it said its 5261 on the current building. Unless TTC is willing to allow access through their parking lot, it will be a right in/out off Dundas only. The only access will be for delivery and garbage as it will be a nightmare trying to get cars in/out for some underground parking if any at all.

If the building is on an angle or square to the property line, is there enough room to have 75 feet distance between it and the Station Tower to allow viewing to the east???

The main Hydro transmission tower is over 100' from the property line by Dundas with the wires on an angle going away from the property line heading south.

Will be surprise if anything tall is built here since there is no place to park cars other than a 10 floor parking above grade which will be over kill with transit at the front door that runs 7/24/365 a year.

There are a lot more photos up on my site.
51796019389_5e86d6b021_b.jpg

51795773088_93f713199b_b.jpg

51796019824_e3414d882e_b.jpg

51795649186_8a6d763bb9_b.jpg

51796019914_25cbcf0093_b.jpg

51795649606_ca3284f4eb_b.jpg

51796382875_b739289753_b.jpg

51796021459_eba31372c1_b.jpg

51796383625_8a5df70965_b.jpg

51796021829_da2cc97170_b.jpg

51795775923_5d6af7cbb2_b.jpg

51794705902_92c4da4884_b.jpg

51794706007_41fce62a2c_b.jpg

This one now has a lobbyist behind it at City Hall in the form of Amir Remtulla

Oh........and *Docs are Up*

Architect is BDPQ

There's only one free-floating render in the package:

1641912202121.png

1641912237024.png

1641912269288.png

1641912284266.png

1641912305285.png

* I found some additional renders inside the Landscape Plan.....but they appear somewhat different to the one above:

1641912621649.png

1641912643514.png

1641912662293.png

Speaking of the Landscape Plan, it's not bad............

But they list Kentucky Coffee Tree as 'native'.........which it most certainly is not.

Last edited:
I thought Kentucky Coffees are native to Ontario,

Correct.

if not the Toronto area? Primarily in the far south close to Lake Erie and Windsor.

Yes, pretty close to Windsor is the northern limit.

Native Range Maps below:

1641915842658.png

1641915875244.png

Both of the above images retrieved from: https://www.registrelep-sararegistr...hicot_fevier_ktcky_coffeetree_prop_0614_e.pdf

It is not, and has never been native to anywhere on the shores of Lake Ontario.

It is classified as non-native by the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority.

Last edited:

Back