Not a rumour, a real height increase (pending CofA approval, of course)

Wow.
..And to think London on on the Esplanade. just about a fifty metres away, had to chop itself down several floors to 32 stories to placate the local whiney ass nimbys.
Go figure.

I think that I need to issue a clarification about what is happening with the L Tower. Threads at other skyscraper sites have picked up this discussion and are drawing erroneous conclusions from it. What we do know is this:

One, 42 high-floor units, with 10-foot ceilings, are being released to the public. Two, the L Tower had been "sold out" since shortly after it went into sales. From these two facts, two explanations are possible:

The first is that those 42 units had always been planned, and they were being held back until a better price could be obtained for then. This is quite possible.

The second is that additional floors are being planned, in which case, being high floors, there would probably be only 6 units per floor for a total of 7 additional floors. This is rather more likely in my opinion, although certainly not proven.

Finally, marcus_a_j's comment about it not being a rumour was in reference to the Ice height increases, NOT to the discussed L Tower height increase.

Right now we know nothing, other than that 42 units have just now become available in a "sold-out" project, which implies but does not prove that a significant height increase is imminent.

I hope that this clears things up for readers of this thread.

Last edited:
I could see a height increase but not seven floors. Fingers crossed though.

There are many "sold out" projects that suddenly have a new release of suites. Developers are known to hold back suites (phased sales if you will) to make the sales numbers seem even more desparate and to cash in on any upswing in the market. They also have a habit of redesigning the floors of these final blocks to cram in additional suites.

I've had the penthouse & sub-PH floorplans for about two or three years, they range from about 1100-2700 sq. ft., and many of them are two storey units. Perhaps they didn't sell or were never released and they are chopping them down to one level units, there are also two and three storey units on the two levels below the PH which could also be sized down for quick sale. I don't see how they could get 42 extra units out of all those though...

When the designed changed from 'L' to 'l', they said that they would be adding additional residential units to the lower 6 or 7 floors in the space that the Cultural Centre (sorry, I forget exactly what was initially supposed to be there) was to be located. Were those units ever released? Perhaps these are some of the newly released units in addition to some of the above suggestions?

When the designed changed from 'L' to 'l', they said that they would be adding additional residential units to the lower 6 or 7 floors in the space that the Cultural Centre (sorry, I forget exactly what was initially supposed to be there) was to be located. Were those units ever released? Perhaps these are some of the newly released units in addition to some of the above suggestions?

To the best of my knowledge, they were all released. I remember looking them over at the sales office just after they were released. If they all sold or not is another question.
This building is quite an extraordinary and unusual design.
I somehow doubt that we will see this building stretch upwards.
In my opinion an awful lot would have to change, including major modifications to many units already sold.
Chopping up large units into smaller easy to sell units would seem more logical. Quick sales and improved overall profit margins is the motivation here.
Pure speculation on my part.

We should know what's going on very soon, if Condo George and Lindsay Wallace do attend today's info session. I should point out this line from Lindsay Wallace's post:

They are releasing some new floors w/ 10 foot ceilings.

Which does support the "extra floors" theory.

I would love to see extra floors and height as well but as Granny pointed out, the unusual profile of this building would make adding floors a logistical nightmare. Due to the sloping North facade, by simply stretching the design, all the floor plans would change slightly. Unlike a square building that could simply have floors added mid-rise with no appreciable change to the lower or higher floors.

Unless of course (as I always suspected) architectural firms have several versions of a tower, with varying heights, drawn up concurrently, just in case. In this age of computer aided design, it would be a little easier than before.

I also suspect that there are several alternative designs of the L Tower, ranging from a slightly reduced version (ain't gonna be chosen) to several significantly enlarged versions of the 57-floor base version. In which case the biggest issue, in the event that a larger version is chosen for construction, would be what to do with all the existing buyers, whose units no longer exist in the form they purchased. I would guess that they would be offered "equal or better" units, with their original floor plans replaced with same-sized to somewhat larger units, on as close to the same floors as possible (except for those who purchased units in the uppermost few floors, whose units would presumably be moved up).

Regardless of whether you liked or disliked the "boot", I guarantee had it been built, even its supporters would hate it once the novelty wore off. It was far too overbearing and disrespectful to the Sony Centre. The new design retains the beautiful soaring tower, adds a nice little outdoor space, and preserves the SC's dignity; rather than squashing it into near oblivion.

Back