Yeah me too. Fiasco is the perfect word to describe it. "We ask for your patience." Hilarious. I hope the owners are well compensated for this mismanagement.

Some guy affiliated with the project was quoted on CBC radio this morning that it would come down sometime in April. Suuuurre it will. After all the delays, I'd be pissed too.

These events are a result of what happens when one screws with Edward Plunket Taylor's bones.
Shakespeare anyone?

Regards,
J T

Ground level shots from today:
IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 795
  • IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 827
They need to get the cladding done, of course, but the angled rooflines of the L Tower podium components are all aiming to be sympathetic to the angled rooflines of the O'Keefe Centre, or whatever this week's name is. They are as untraditional as it is. GL 17's middle photo above shows how the whole composition is actually rather harmonious.

^ While the project overall is frustrating (and I don't even live there so I can only imagine how amplified that is for owners,) this is a good point. Once complete in 2020, I will reassess.

Ground level shots from today:

It is really amazing that (in addition to the crane) they seem incapable of finishing off the ground level of the L-Tower. It really shows general incompetence; thank god I do not live there! They have been farting around with the cladding above the patio since this time last year and there is STILL missing cladding along the Yonge Street sidewalk too. The City has apparently taken back the fixin' up of the "patio" area (another Claude Cormier design) and will be doing it as they ramp up work on his Berczy Park project - which moves along very well.

A distinction should be made between an attempt to speak to the Sony Center and successfully speaking to the Center. I think one can plausibly maintain that this is so poorly done that it appears there wasn't even an attempt. After all, drawing complimentary lines and angles into the podium of this tower wouldn't be very difficult, and therefore doing this successfully is something that can be rightfully expected of any architect/designer.

On the other hand, if we do grant that they've attempted to bring the two buildings into communication with each other, it's quite another to grant that they've done so successfully.

So the question really comes down to what's better: ignorance or failure.

That's your question, not mine. For me it does not suit the situation.

Back