I see the L-Tower has given up on its window washing arm - probably for first time since it opened, the windows are being washed - by a team of guys on bosun's chairs. Crazy!

1720036719156.png

I see the L-Tower has given up on its window washing arm - probably for first time since it opened, the windows are being washed - by a team of guys on bosun's chairs. Crazy!

View attachment 577337
Usually, buildings with BMUs use swing stages for window washing. However, it is still common practice for buildings with only window washing anchors to have window washers hanging by ropes rather than standing on a platform. We know that the BMU hasn’t been operational at the L Tower for a while now, so they likely employ alternative methods to clean the windows instead of using the non-functional BMUs swing stage. Monde faced a similar issue, its BMU wasn’t working either like the L Tower, resulting in unclean windows for years.

Usually, buildings with BMUs use swing stages for window washing. However, it is still common practice for buildings with only window washing anchors to have window washers hanging by ropes rather than standing on a platform. We know that the BMU hasn’t been operational at the L Tower for a while now, so they likely employ alternative methods to clean the windows instead of using the non-functional BMUs swing stage. Monde faced a similar issue, its BMU wasn’t working either like the L Tower, resulting in unclean windows for years.
Yes, the L-Tower BMU collapsed about 8 (??) years go and caused considerable damage to the building. I think it was replaced but is still clearly not working. The windows look FILTHY.

Yes, the L-Tower BMU collapsed about 8 (??) years go and caused considerable damage to the building. I think it was replaced but is still clearly not working. The windows look FILTHY.
Wasn’t it the derrick that collapsed? When they tried to remove the derrick that was stuck to replace it with a BMU.

The counter weight fell off the current BMU. It is still in litigation from what I hear. The current company washing the windows is supposedly from Dubai. First cleaning. Maybe a little tougher this first go around. I’d liked to see how they clean the north side with the under cut curve and the pressure from the ropes on the top windows and around the ice stops. From @DSC picture I wonder how they the swing off the east and west side at the top of the curve. I’m sure rope-work was never in the plan. Window washing needs a new thread. So fascinating but so scary.

Last edited:
The counter weight fell of the current BMU. It is still in litigation from what I hear. The current company is washing the windows is supposedly from Dubai. First cleaning. Maybe a little tougher this first go around. I’d liked to see how they clean the north side with the under cut curve and the pressure from the ropes on the top windows and around the ice stops. From @DSC picture I wonder how they the swing off the east and west side at the top of the curve. I’m sure rope-work was never in the plan. Window washing needs a new thread. So fascinating but so scary.
Should we create a thread for window washing then?

Back