I don't mind the material. It just seems like an older building, that's all. Like it was built 10+ years ago. I guess that's the problem?

Sunset from my balcony near lower Parliament St.

DSCF0127.JPG

DSCF0129.JPG

DSCF0130.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0127.JPG
    DSCF0127.JPG
    858.5 KB · Views: 2,044
  • DSCF0129.JPG
    DSCF0129.JPG
    938.8 KB · Views: 2,043
  • DSCF0130.JPG
    DSCF0130.JPG
    922.7 KB · Views: 2,025
View from my new office:
TwKC4QF

On a related note, I was reflecting the other day on the fact that 50% of the reason I'm in the industry I work in (finance) is because I pored over the directories of the bay street beauts as a teenager and saw finance companies made up most of the tenants.

Last edited:
I understand that the small crane is going to be lifted up, lots of pieces recently delivered and on ground at base of crane, and that it will be used to lift window washing equipment/platforms into place. I get that, but why can't the big crane be used for that job? Why does the big crane have to erect a little crane? And once the window washing stuff is installed, does the little crane go as well, or get dismantled and stored in the mechanical floors up top?

Thank you

I would image that there's at least one piece of the Building Maintenance Unit (window washing equipment) which is simply too heavy for the tower crane to safely hoist from its position way over to the side of the building, and possibly too tricky to manoeuvre into the space left for the unit.

After the BMU is installed, no reason that the smaller crane couldn't be lowered to the ground in pieces the way it was hoisted—by the tower crane. The tower crane can then disassemble itself.

I heard today from Pam McConnell's office that the City and the Sony Centre are taking over the construction of the "plaza" at Yonge & Front. The L-Tower folk are apparently paying but I guess the City got tired of waiting and feared another long-running'crane saga". The materials are on order but because it took so long to get the legal Agreement signed the work is now scheduled to start in March 2016. As it and Berczy are adjacent and being worked on at same time and both are designed by Claude Cormier I assume they will try to have same contractor - Somerville.

They are taking it over because the frontage is all to be of one piece, not because anyone fears another crane saga. Not sure that Somerville will necessarily be the contractor however.

As has been stated several times, the crane is all tied up with getting the tower's building maintenance unit installed, something that has proven to be far more complicated than had been anticipated, and has zero bearing on expectations related to the landscaping of the plaza.

They simply stopped working on that plaza for the past few years. If I were the city I would take it over as well. This project and its completion has been embarrassing, no matter how the situation is spun.

This is not a hostile move by the City, and has nothing to do with spin.

Back