Is there a reason this thread doesn't list the height in the title? Is it not 205m?

The height is not in the thread title because I'm not convinced that the L Tower is 205 m high. That was the height it was approved at when it had a boot at the base, but the building changed a fair bit before it was built, with a height increase around the time the boot was chopped off. Committee of Adjustment decisions from back then are not posted on the City of Toronto's website, so I have no access to changes achieved there, but I am hoping that P+S will respond to a request to go through their working drawings and find a number for us.

Meanwhile, just so you know, elevations of the building when the zoning was approved showed 57 storeys of residential topped by 3 mechanical levels. In the end, 58 residential storeys were built with about the equivalent of 7.5 mechanical levels at the southwest peak. (If you look at the Feb 2014 shot in post #6650 by Kris on the previous page, you'll see 7.5 levels of glazing above the open slot near the top. That slot is the two storey penthouse on levels 57 and 58.)

Looking forward to clearing the final height up!

4/20

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,386
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    788.3 KB · Views: 1,376
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    894.4 KB · Views: 1,333
What's the activity down on Front there just west of Yonge? I haven't been down there in ages--is that just continued construction activity/staging areas for Union?

What's the activity down on Front there just west of Yonge? I haven't been down there in ages--is that just continued construction activity/staging areas for Union?
Some of the trailers are for Union Station work and are parked in front of the Dominion Public Building, there is also Hydro work going on - new manholes and conduits. The Hydro work is supposed to end in late July.

FRONT ST W At YONGE ST

The northbound and southbound curb lanes will be occupied due to rebuilding Toronto Hydro cable chambers and trench to install ducts.

Closure Type:Construction (Planned)

Time Frame:Daily

Until:Jul 30, 2016

Hours:07:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Impact:Moderate

Road Class:Minor Arterial

District:Toronto and East York

Contractor:Entera Utility Contractors

ID:R33376

Okay, so, L Tower is 205 metres high.

At the same time the boot was removed, the number of floors in that part of the tower changed. There had been 8 commercial height floors in both the boot and that portion of the tower. Once it was changed to all residential, those were replaced with 12 shorter floors. It meant that the penthouse got one more floor, and the mechanical up top got 3 more floors, and it all still fit within the 205 metre height of the original zoning approval. That height was kept so that the building would not add any new shadows on Berczy Park.

Mystery solved, thread title updated. Thanks P+S for the explanation!

Google Earth generates 3D buildings by triangulating images from multiple satellite views which are compiled to scale.

Using Google Earth Pro you can measure the distance of the 3D path(building heights) with this we can physically confirm the buildings height is 205m

ve3m8wg.jpg

now measure this , that, and those
Actually, @kris, @maestro is on to something. There are quite a number of thread titles where the height is missing. For any of those where the building has been completed long enough for it to appear in Google Earth, if you (or anyone else who has Google Earth Pro, and might occasionally have the time), it would be fun to get similar screen grabs of those buildings. I know that not every building is going to be as easy to measure as the L Tower, however: this is one of the very few in the city where the building rises from the sidewalk to its ultimate height without any step backs. The vast majority at least have a stepped back mechanical penthouse, of course.

Anyway, if you are so inclined any time…

Actually, @kris, @maestro is on to something. There are quite a number of thread titles where the height is missing. For any of those where the building has been completed long enough for it to appear in Google Earth, if you (or anyone else who has Google Earth Pro, and might occasionally have the time), it would be fun to get similar screen grabs of those buildings. I know that not every building is going to be as easy to measure as the L Tower, however: this is one of the very few in the city where the building rises from the sidewalk to its ultimate height without any step backs. The vast majority at least have a stepped back mechanical penthouse, of course.

Anyway, if you are so inclined any time…

The setbacks are to scale in the modeling which makes me believe the software would factor the setbacks into the measurement. Would need to be tested.

Anyways, never made the connection that google earth (pro) would of course be able to do this. Something new to download.

Any particular buildings?
Next time you're looking down the P&C Forum pages, and see missing metres, it's because we have not been satisfied with the material we have in declaring a particular height (most often because there was a Committee of Adjustment approval for an increase after the initial approval, and we haven't been able to find it). Newer buildings with '?'s in the thread title you won't be able to fix this way, but maybe… Bridgepoint Hospital for one? Its no't a particularly tall building, and it has a stepped back mechanical penthouse to deal with, but if you can give it a try… (and see you in that thread, if you can!)

VERY GOOD to see the derrick being installed!

Back