New Peel Region Parks building
DJI_0482.jpg

DJI_0490.jpg

Old Peel Region Parks building.
DJI_0487.jpg

Trees and shrubs recently removed along Lakefront Promenade.
DJI_0488.jpg

Sales Office
DJI_0493.jpg

Jim Tovey Conservation area still taking shape.
DJI_0485.jpg

From the front page. Thanks Craig and Anthony!

In southeast Mississauga, the redevelopment of the former Lakeview Generating Station lands has become the setting of a potential showdown between its developers and the City of Mississauga, with the possibility of putting the Provincial Government at odds with the City of Mississauga.

Lakeview Community Partners Limited, a consortium of developers, have submitted a request for a Minister’s Zoning Order (MZO) that would effectively double the site's density while drastically reducing or eliminating various limits prescribed by the Zoning By-law that directs new development on the expansive site. In response, Mississauga's Planning and Building Department is concerned that if the MZO is allowed, the Lakeview Village development would overwhelm the capacity of local infrastructure to handle the increased demand, and have a lasting impact on the Greater Toronto Area.

Masterplan overview of Lakeview Village, designed by Sasaki Architects for Lakeview Community Partners

Last edited:
Do not allow this 1st they changed the design to minimize the river coming into the community now they want more density. Ridiculous the design now is just basic for the most part, could of been something special here another GTA failure I believe.

I'd be open to the increase in density if they were committing to do more placemaking as part of the scheme, similar to 2150 Lake Shore redevelopment.

lakeshore along here is going to be an awful traffic mess in a few decades. This site just doesn't have strong transit access and Lakeshore isn't designed for the vehicle volumes which will be coming out of this.

We are supposed to be getting a Lakeshore BRT. I thought there was also talk of a shuttle to Long Branch.

Add in some high quality cycling infrastructure and it should be manageable.

I'm looking to understand the concessions that the developers will be providing in exchange for these MZOs. While this process is helpful for breaking the logjam with intransigent NIMBY municipalities, it is not very transparent, nor democratic.

I was thinking a Lakeshore W GO station between Cawthra and Ogden would be well-placed to serve this added density. Still, this would be 1.5-2km from much of this development.

I think it might be more prudent to try to get some of the employment uses closer to the GO station/QEW. I think people are more likely to take transit for commuting if the station is relatively close to their workplace, and are willing to travel a bit further from their home (this is where bike+transit can be very powerful at increasing catchment area for transit stations).

TORONTO — In support of Ontario’s goal of building 1.5 million homes by 2031, the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing has issued two Minister’s Zoning Orders for several locations within the City of Mississauga. These orders will facilitate the province’s work to tackle the housing supply crisis and ensure that housing supply growth is aligned with and oriented around Ontario’s billions of dollars of historic investments in transit and transit-related infrastructure. These investments include the all-new Hazel McCallion LRT and the ongoing work to expand service on and electrify the Lakeshore West GO Transit line.
These orders will support the construction of approximately 18,350 homes near transit, along with substantial community benefits and upgraded infrastructure, with the costs of these benefits to be borne by the home builders – not the taxpayer. Furthermore, it is the government’s expectation that a minimum of 10 per cent of these homes be offered as affordable and attainable homes to help more Ontarians achieve the dream of homeownership.
Among the impressive public benefits and new infrastructure planned for these communities that will be paid for by the home builders are the following:
  • Thousands of new affordable and attainable homes within steps of transit
  • New, improved, and expanded roadway and mobility infrastructure to ensure the safe, sustainable, and efficient flow of people and traffic as these areas grow
  • A new waste-water treatment plant to support sustainable growth
  • New transit services and infrastructure, including a prospective new GO Train station on the Lakeshore West Line to offer more transit options to people and get cars off the road and people out of gridlock
  • New schools and childcare spaces to support families
  • New and improved community spaces and environmental projects, including a new public waterfront trail and pier area
“Our government is continuing to act decisively to tackle the housing supply crisis and ensure Ontario has a range of housing options to meet demand,” said Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. “By aligning new housing with our government’s historic investments in transit and transit-related infrastructure, we are supporting the development of complete communities that will deliver on our commitment to help more Ontarians find a home that meets their needs and budget.”
In the coming days, the government will continue its work alongside proponents, the Region of Peel, the City of Mississauga, and Indigenous partners to facilitate approvals and ensure the realization of tangible community benefits. It is the government’s expectation that the cost of planning for and developing these benefits and the infrastructure required to service these communities will be borne by the home builders.
The first order relates to a property located at 1082 Lakeshore Road East. The second order relates to two parcels of land at 3355 and 5645 Hurontario Street. All the affected properties are within existing MTSAs, which provide greater opportunity for density and expanded housing options for Mississauga residents as a result of changes implemented by the province through the More Homes Built Faster Act, 2022.
These orders are consistent with the government’s approach to speed up approvals, ensure more housing is built near and integrated with transit stations and tackle the housing supply crisis. The government will continue to make use of the tools at its disposal in order to support the construction of new homes and align that construction with the province’s historic investments in transit and related infrastructure.

Quick Facts​

• Major Transit Station Areas are areas within walking distance of a transit station that are planned to be the focus of growth and new housing construction, to align the province’s historic investments in transit and infrastructure with its efforts to tackle the housing supply crisis.
  • Ontario is continuing to take steps to tackle the housing supply crisis and meet its pledge of 1.5 million new homes by 2031, including through the introduction of its most recent housing supply action plan, Helping Homebuyers, Protecting Tenants.
  • Earlier this year, the City of Mississauga pledged to do its part to tackle the housing supply crisis by committing to meet a target of 120,000 new homes by 2031.
  • In 2022, Ontario saw the second-highest number of housing starts since 1988, with just over 96,000 new homes. Ontario also broke ground on nearly 15,000 new purpose-built rentals, the highest number ever on record.
  • The Lakeview Village development located at 1082 Lakeshore Road East is expected to permit 16,000 new residential units.

‘Prospective’ GO station, huh? I’ll believe it when I see it funded, and with a signed contract.

And, I thought the government made a lot of noise about MZOs only being granted when the municipalities asked for it. Colour me unsurprised that they say one thing and do another (not that Mississauga is an angel on the housing front.)

This government is so full of shit.
"A prospective new GO station", what does that even mean? We might build it if we feel like it? Where will this fantasy station be built?

Is this "new wastewater treatment plant" the same one Mississauga has already contracted the design for, and was paying for with development charges? Now they try to sell it as something Glorious Ford convinced the Holy Developers to do for the lucky plebeians.

Honestly, is the Premier now the Mayor of every city and town in Ontario? Let's just do away with all this municipal nonsense, let him have his fantasy for real.

Seriously, shutdown all town building and planning departments. Everyone in the future can just call Mayor Ford and be done with it.

Last edited:
Double the units, double the Development Charges?
This government is so full of shit.
the same one Mississauga has already contracted the design for, and was paying for with development charges?
Good news, now they get double the development charges!

Hey all, I'm a first time home buyer (harbourwalk) and a little panicked about this. Looking for some opinions/insights on what the implications might be.

Presumably, increasing supply will lower the overall value of condo units in this development no?

In the MZO they say they also want reduced landscape requirements, and reduced building amenity requirements. So presumably they want to either shrink or get rid of the central park that runs throughout the development?

I guess part of what I'm trying to understand is how drastically the 'master plan' might change with this MZO. Is it feasible to expect that the renderings are now completely unrepresentative of what this community will look like, or is it more likely that the scale of features like parks, waterways etc will just shrink but generally retain the same vision?

It's kind of mind boggling to me that this 10 year + community driven initiative can just be steamrolled by the province like this without any consideration from the city or its residents. And they pushed it through on a Friday afternoon right before the city was scheduled to discuss it.

Appreciate any thoughts and comments.

Back