From SSP (Steeltown)

Construction has begun

1699669039301.png

Source: https://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/articles/lincoln-alexander-hall-groundbreaking/

New 12 storey student residence developed by Knightstone Capital & McMaster University, designed by Diamond Schmitt. The building is immediately east of the campus and is replacing several houses.

161017-1190-Main-Street-Compiled-2-11.png

161017-1190-Main-Street-Compiled-2-12.png

161017-1190-Main-Street-Compiled-2-1.png

ZRx2dj0.jpg

Wonder how long it'll take for them to gobble up Dalewood middle school..

Construction progress on this huge site. Looks like a crane base forming in the near corner. I also don't think this forum has "before" photos of the site, so I copied some old Google views from pre-demo below.

101_2112.JPG

2-ish years ago from Google satellite, similar angle:
1705099546605.png

And streetview from 2016, before all the homes got boarded up in 2018, from the same corner again:
1705100079544.png

Construction progress on this huge site. Looks like a crane base forming in the near corner. I also don't think this forum has "before" photos of the site, so I copied some old Google views from pre-demo below.

View attachment 532909

And streetview from 2016, before all the homes got boarded up in 2018, from the same corner again:
View attachment 532917
WOW. What a difference. This looks like it was a lovely residential area. Couldn't they have kept any of the mature trees on site? There are many out on the boarders near sidewalk. They cleared absolutely everything.

I also thought this was a bit of a strange site for this project. Like why didn't they just use the massive parking lot on the west side of the campus that is usually not even that full. The one at the Corner of Main and Cootes.

I also thought this was a bit of a strange site for this project. Like why didn't they just use the massive parking lot on the west side of the campus that is usually not even that full. The one at the Corner of Main and Cootes.

There's already plans for that parking lot and many others on campus (McMaster University Campus Master Plan) -- the residential block that was torn down was essentially all student homes anyways.

mcmaster_campus-plan-2023-049-jpg.538812

Those are just concept plans though. Nothing is actually planned there at this time. That will likely stay a lot for the next 15-20 years.

Back