This discussion made me think about what if we implemented a user charge in the city for planting non-invasive species.

That way all condo developments would naturally just go for native species because they are cheaper. Nurseries would adjust over time to the new demand.
Though some condos do have outdoor plantings, I am sure the sales to house owners is FAR greater - of course, they too might not want to pay a surcharge. (Though, if invasive species are really not a good thing, why should they be able to sell them at all!)

......(Though, if invasive species are really not a good thing, why should they be able to sell them at all!)

There are restrictions under Ontario law.

The problem is that the list is too narrow.

It's a fight to add plants to the list.

Especially if they sell well.

I can think of 2 dozen to add to that list.

But if I were to pick a few top ones.

- European Buckthorn
- Norway Maple
- Dame's Rocket
- Himalayan Balsam

Would be among those topping my list.

Reactions: DSC
Though some condos do have outdoor plantings, I am sure the sales to house owners is FAR greater - of course, they too might not want to pay a surcharge. (Though, if invasive species are really not a good thing, why should they be able to sell them at all!)
I wrote that post too quickly, I intended to write non-native, not non-invasive (which would have been counterproductive!)

A few pictures from along Cherry over the past couple of days.

Some outsized dump trucks at Cherry and Commissioners.
IMG_20200505_190448.jpg

Working on some large caissons.
IMG_20200504_193226.jpg

A large drill bit on a shoring rig.
IMG_20200505_191307.jpg

Could be some large form work on the foundation of the bridge over the Keating Channel.

IMG_20200504_193734.jpg

A few pictures from along Cherry over the past couple of days.

Some outsized dump trucks at Cherry and Commissioners.
View attachment 244386

Working on some large caissons.
View attachment 244388

A large drill bit on a shoring rig.
View attachment 244385

Could be some large form work on the foundation of the bridge over the Keating Channel.

View attachment 244387
I think that the below-grade foundations of the Keating Bridge are finished on both north and south sides - they now seem to be constructing the above-grade concrete bases. I suspect that the caissons you saw (me too) are for the start of creating the new river channel west of Cherry Street (similar to what they have been doing east of Cherry) . I assume they will create this section, then finish the new Cherry Street (with or without the Keating bridge) and then excavate the new river channel where Cherry Street is now.

Just cycled down Cherry and the demolition of the T&T building is getting underway - they seem to have cleared out the interior (or part of it) and removed all the external concrete paving etc at the front . I doubt it will take long to see it leveled.

What area?!

Indeed.
Hopefully they soon start putting some new distinguishing features back into this landscape. At the moment, to the casual observer (not me), it seems that we have spent what must be 100s of millions by now moving kilotons of dirt from pile A to pile B.
We were teased with what looked like bridge bits being shipped months ago. Haven't seen anything since.

Last edited:
Indeed.
Hopefully they soon start putting some new distinguishing features back into this landscape. At the moment, to the casual observer, it seems that we have spent what must be 100s of millions by now moving kilotons of dirt from pile A to pile B.
We were teased with what looked like bridge bits being shipped months ago. Haven't seen anything since.
I think covid-isolation (covation?) is getting to you. How do you think they divert a river and create a huge park without moving dirt around. Would you think it better to start planting flowers and putting in park benches first? Go and look at the WT website or even browse back in this thread to see pictures of what they are doing and of the progress being made. It's one of the largest civil engineering projects in Canada.

From the WT DRP presentation from a few weeks ago. This is a gigantic project with a lot of time being spent on design, let alone construction. It will be a while before this starts to look like anything but that doesn't mean work isn't happening behind the scenes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.00.39 PM.png

I think covid-isolation (covation?) is getting to you. How do you think they divert a river and create a huge park without moving dirt around. Would you think it better to start planting flowers and putting in park benches first? Go and look at the WT website or even browse back in this thread to see pictures of what they are doing and of the progress being made. It's one of the largest civil engineering projects in Canada.

Oh I know a ton has been done. As I've been following the progress obsessively. Many of those pictures you mentioned were posted by myself.
I'm just worried there might be political pressure on the project given the lack obvious progress.

Back