View of the new bridge from our balcony in the Distillery at dusk.

20201128_163041.jpg

It would have been nice if one of the bridges had a blue underside. I'm surprised that wasn't chosen, given the lakeside location.

Did something change? I thought blue was one of the proposed colors:

Nope, blue is one of the two sets of colours considered - they chose the set with the "complementary" set of warm tones - red, orange, yellow. It probably pop better against the white (and against the predominant colours in general).

AoD

From this evening.

New sidewalk along Commissioners.
View attachment 285957

I'm assuming this is just a temporary sidewalk and that a proper sidewalk will go in when this area is finished? Toronto has grown and matured over the last 20 years when it comes to its understanding of the public realm; the new red and white bridge is testament to that. Slapping down some concrete and calling it a day may have been standard practice in the past but it's always been crude, unrefined, and primitive.

I'm assuming this is just a temporary sidewalk and that a proper sidewalk will go in when this area is finished? Toronto has grown and matured over the last 20 years when it comes to its understanding of the public realm; the new red and white bridge is testament to that. Slapping down some concrete and calling it a day may have been standard practice in the past but it's always been crude, unrefined, and primitive.

Yeah, I think this was a project under the city's general capital works program and didn't involve WT. (See construction notice here).
I assume when WT does begin development of this area in 5 or 10 years they will replace it with something conforming to their design standards.
It is too bad the city doesn't have higher standards. Also the new sidewalk on the north side just ends at Logan. You have to cross Commissioners to where the south sidewalk begins, with no pedestrian crossing. At least not yet.

Back