They are going to build dozens of buildings out on QQE, with no transit, forcing all residents to own cars, and the Toronto Star will write endless articles about the traffic on Lake Shore because their executives take forever to get to their offices (next to Union Station).

The Toronto Star moved its offices into The Well months ago. They are no longer next to Union Station - unless considering The Well to be '...next to Union Station...', which even I would think to be a bit of a stretch.

It doesnt help that the TTC operates the buses in the area like idiots and you'll commonly see the 19, 72 and 202 operating back to back to back right behind each other.

This would be a dream come true imo. It would've been really nice if they had gone with the bridge connecting the east side of the island to the Lower Don Lands. Bridges connecting either side of the island to the mainland would be incredible for public access to green space and would lead to so much more use of the island.

Totally agree. But the Island residents (squatters) would no doubt throw up the same opposition that Rosedale residents did when the Chorley Park Switchback was being proposed. In that case it connectedBrickworks with Rosedale and "Oh my God! The peasants would have access to our paradise!!!" Island totally needs a bridge. But the privileged don't care about the masses.

The Toronto Star moved its offices into The Well months ago. They are no longer next to Union Station - unless considering The Well to be '...next to Union Station...', which even I would think to be a bit of a stretch.

True. I forgot that. But they will still write articles about the traffic on Lake Shore!

I have friends who work in a law firm in the Well, and they were sold it as being close to Union. There's the skywalk or whatever it's called, but apparently it's a little bit dicey on deserted evenings after six.

True. I forgot that. But they will still write articles about the traffic on Lake Shore!

I have friends who work in a law firm in the Well, and they were sold it as being close to Union. There's the skywalk or whatever it's called, but apparently it's a little bit dicey on deserted evenings after six.
The Skywalk connects Union to the CN Tower and the MTCC, hardly a convenient way to the Well though it would keep one dry/cool/warm for part of your trip! (I also think the MTCC connection - to Front- is closed at nights/evenings.)

Totally agree. But the Island residents (squatters) would no doubt throw up the same opposition that Rosedale residents did when the Chorley Park Switchback was being proposed. In that case it connectedBrickworks with Rosedale and "Oh my God! The peasants would have access to our paradise!!!" Island totally needs a bridge. But the privileged don't care about the masses.
Even if you volunteered to build and pay for a bridge to the Island I would not like it - the trip to the island on the ferry is part of the experience. Of course, the ferries should be improved and should take PRESTO but getting to the island is half (or more!) of the fun. (If a bridge was there I bet it would not be long before there was pressure to allow cars and parking on the island or to run TTC buses all over it, it's a PARK - with some very limited housing.

Even if you volunteered to build and pay for a bridge to the Island I would not like it - the trip to the island on the ferry is part of the experience. Of course, the ferries should be improved and should take PRESTO but getting to the island is half (or more!) of the fun. (If a bridge was there I bet it would not be long before there was pressure to allow cars and parking on the island or to run TTC buses all over it, it's a PARK - with some very limited housing.

I think the option have an alternate, fixed link to the Island should exist - even though I think ferries are a more interesting choice. As the the current residents - I am not sure why they have the right to hold veto over this. For all intents and purposes - the original residents were squatters on public land, and the current arrangement is a sweet deal.

AoD

The original residents were squatters on public land, and the current arrangement is a sweet deal.

Exactly.

It would be like Alvin building a house in High Park and then complaining that the people using it as a park were getting in the way of him enjoying his home.

I think the option have an alternate, fixed link to the Island should exist - even though I think ferries are a more interesting choice. As the the current residents - I am not sure why they have the right to hold veto over this. For all intents and purposes - the original residents were squatters on public land, and the current arrangement is a sweet deal.

AoD
I certainly do not think the current island residents should have a veto (or that they have one) but if my vote on a bridge was required it would be NO. (Of course, a City which is visibly falling to pieces and cannot even build a short stretch of new LRT on Queens Quay after 15-20 years (even though it has been a 'priority' for at least a decade!) is never going to get its act together for an island bridge!)

I certainly do not think the current island residents should have a veto (or that they have one) but if my vote on a bridge was required it would be NO. (Of course, a City which is visibly falling to pieces and cannot even build a short stretch of new LRT on Queens Quay after 15-20 years (even though it has been a 'priority' for at least a decade!) is never going to get its act together for an island bridge!)

The Islands is an underutilized resource - and the ferries is a bottleneck (even post-fleet renewal). That is unacceptable in a growing city with a limited amount of green space.

AoD

Could also be Tramway.

Roosevelt_Island_tramcar_2010.jpg

The Islands is an underutilized resource - and the ferries is a bottleneck (even post-fleet renewal). That is unacceptable in a growing city with a limited amount of green space.

AoD
I don't know, I think that's what adds to their charm. Every time I'm over there it feels so secluded and far removed from civilization, something I think would be lost if we made it easier to access.

Plus, taking the ferry over is part of the experience IMO and just adds something special to the outing.

If limited green space is the issue than the city should have planned for more park space in the waterfront area instead of a wall of condos. What we are getting is nice but we could have had so much more down there. We had a blank slate after all.

I don't know, I think that's what adds to their charm. Every time I'm over there it feels so secluded and far removed from civilization, something I think would be lost if we made it easier to access.

Plus, taking the ferry over is part of the experience IMO and just adds something special to the outing.

If limited green space is the issue than the city should have planned for more park space in the waterfront area instead of a wall of condos. What we are getting is nice but we could have had so much more down there. We had a blank slate after all.
I have to agree with you on this one. Even if better connecting the island would give the city more waterfront parkland, a draw of the islands is the isolation. It creates this destination feel to it that wouldn't be there if the public had easier access. In terms of the waterfront the city messed up hard. What their doing in the Portland's looks really nice, imagine if they used this type of thinking for the entire waterfront.

Back