Related to the above discussion, I have read Alex's piece.

I'm in agreement about the Robarts 'learning commons' because it's just silly and stuck in there for no good reason; I'll add this is an over-used feature appearing in many buildings, particularly of the education variety.

But I'll have to differ in other respects, tiered seating in movie theatres is standard, I for one have no desire to return to return to gently raked floors; tiered seating in classrooms is standard at the University level and I
support this too as it dramatically improves sightlines and makes it easier to see speakers and presentations, just as with viewing a movie. I expect cinemas and classrooms to provide accessible seating, but not to make every single seat accessible.

I'm extremely supportive of accessibility; but I can't support its delivery where that doesn't actually make something more accessible, but rather diminishes the experience of the majority to create 'equality'

Last edited:
So how do you feel about the tiered seating designs on the other bridges, which are also inaccessible as best I can discern?
Also not a fan! I called out some of them (Harbour Eye and Equinox) in my comments above but if there are any others that have architectural steps, you can assume I feel the same way about them and probably just missed them when I skimmed the designs.

Edited to add: one thing I appreciate about the Zeidler design is that despite having stepped seating, it seems they've provided an accessible ramp to the bottom of the steps, whereas the Harbour Eye has no way to get to the bottom of the steps without climbing down them. It's not a perfect solution, but I'll give them credit for at least putting some thought into how to make the design more inclusive:
Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 13.03.03.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the 'compromise' is here? There is a ramp; I'm not being argumentative, I actually don't understand the argument and would appreciate elaboration.
If the path of the stairs is no more direct than the path of the ramp, then you have created a place with equal access for all. If the short path, the emergency path, or the enjoyable path is one way, and the accessible path is another way, then it is a design that is unnecessarily discriminatory. The other designs show there is no need to treat people with mobility impairments unequally here.

Tiered seating can work, not every seat needs to be accessible but the accessible seats can't be second class seats... it should be a long row of front row seats (or in a movie theatre mid theatre seats) that appeal to those who do and don't require accessibility features.

I am impatient for this specific project as I think it will really open up what is new in The Portlands to the general public. It will also be a great benefit to the long suffering souls at Pinewood who have had to endure years of detours and construction on what is the most direct route to their facility.

I honestly like all of them, each one brings a different aspect, style and centre piece.

If I had to rank them it would probably be:
1. Zeilder/Wilkinson Eyre (I love that they try to incorporate the solstices and equinoxes, I wish more architecture did this and its also just a very cool design)
2. RJC/Smoke/MVVA (Looked very simple and plain at first but the night time fish lights and future proofing with rust art really sold me)
3. NDA-NWENDAAGANAG (I really love this design, but its a little too much and I worry they plants wont survive very long knowing the cities track record....)
4. Salmon Run (still very cool but kinda boring and plain compared to the rest)
5. Maamawi Bridge (this was definitely my least favourite, it is nice they integrate with nature, and the bat/bird habitats are cool, but overall very boring)
My ranking is similar, but I'd switch #1 & 2. I particularly like the seating options in the RJC/Smoke/MVVA design and its low profile.

That view is incredible!

The only thing I would add about the stairs discussion is that stairs-that-are-also-tiered-seats are one of the dumbest recent architectural trends. I work in a building with a set of those step-stairs, and almost no one sits on them because they are so awkward to navigate (even for people who are not disabled). They are built entirely for photo spreads.

Stunning aerial of the new Don River from an August 24, 2023 article in Azure Magazine.

Azure-Toronto-Portlands-1.jpg

www.azuremagazine.com
That really is a great photo and shows that even before August 24, the work on rebuilding Commissioners was proceeding quite well. Yesterday I looked at the Cherry Street (western) end of it and it seems to be moving along quite well and at the eastern end (near Don Roadway) they have certainly made progress in the last 3 weeks. Last I heard, they were hoping to open Commissioners by the end of October and then close Villiers so that they can finish the new river. Not sure they will make this but .....

It is worth noting that at the FARM Committee last week it was reported that WT has "Obtained city approval of traffic management plan for interim opening of Commissioners Street in October 2023". It IS getting closer!

I am impatient for this specific project as I think it will really open up what is new in The Portlands to the general public. It will also be a great benefit to the long suffering souls at Pinewood who have had to endure years of detours and construction on what is the most direct route to their facility.
Does make me wonder how Keating Channel Pub and Cherry st BBQ will fare once things are properly redirected. I don’t imagine they’re immediately tearing down the Keating bridge but still.

Does make me wonder how Keating Channel Pub and Cherry st BBQ will fare once things are properly redirected. I don’t imagine they’re immediately tearing down the Keating bridge but still.
The contract for the engineering to tear down the Keating Bridge is already awarded and I think the demolition one is 'in process'. As soon as Commissioners opens they will start working on Villiers and I assume the current bridge will, at least, be closed. (This in March 2023 " Old Cherry Street Bridge Early Engineering Costs for Port Lands Flood Protection Project - Sarens Canada – ($80,000) (Contract awarded by Ellis Don Civil Ltd on behalf of Waterfront Toronto)")

The Cherry Street BBQ is in great location (Corner of Commissioners and Old Cherry) , the Keating Channel Pub not so much!

Back