AG, once again I'm shaking my head in amazement at your line of reasoning.

We are discussing stadiums on the waterfront for no other reason than because our fat-head evil mayor and his equally dangerous brother (aka stupid and pafuchio) put the idea on the table.

Now i know your out of your cotton picking mind... 1st, for your rudeness and constant verbal abuse not only directed at the mayor and his brother, but anyone thats not on the same page as you.
2nd, regarding the idea of a stadium at the Portlands by Rob and Doug. Well it has been around way before Ford and Company..1996/2008 Toronto Olympic bids.

The Portlands
The Portlands, now a void in the life of the City,
can become a unique, mixed waterfront area offering many types of venues
to live, work and play.
Magnificent new parks along the waters edge
can provide locations for a memorable experience for families, tourists
and everyone who wants to be on the Citys lakefront.

The Toronto 2008 Olympic Bid can provide the catalyst for the transformation
of the Portlands.
If the Bid is successful the Western Portlands
will represent the east ring of Torontos 2008 Olympic Plan that
includes a new Stadium for 100,000 spectators during the Olympics and
20,000 seats afterwards,
the Aquatic Centre and the Broadcast Centre, as
well as other facilities that will be removed after the Games.
The Ship Channel will be the home of rowing events. The Athletes Village will be
located on the south side of the Ship Channel.

Toronto Waterfront Revitalization
Task Force on the 2008 Olympics

No bother for a link...cause neubilder, i doubt you care about anything to do with any Toronto Olympic bid.

Last edited:
no one in city hall or waterfront toronto has actually thought of incorporating the stadium into waterfront toronto projects.... i just thought that would be best... except i would rather the parking lots be underground... so the parks can be bigger...

Rob Ford was more than welcome to bring up the idea of incorporating a Port Lands stadium into Waterfront Toronto's plans. He has a seat on their board. He has yet to attend a meeting.

I don't think a sports facility is a bad idea -- there are already sports fields at Cherry Beach -- but the cost an NFL-size stadium is an incredible hurdle. For a city that already has an MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS team, I'm not sure there's a big enough economic upside to justify the investment.

Rob Ford was more than welcome to bring up the idea of incorporating a Port Lands stadium into Waterfront Toronto's plans. He has a seat on their board. He has yet to attend a meeting.

I don't think a sports facility is a bad idea -- there are already sports fields at Cherry Beach -- but the cost an NFL-size stadium is an incredible hurdle. For a city that already has an MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS team, I'm not sure there's a big enough economic upside to justify the investment.

Not to mention another professional football team.

This is the most reasonable comment yet on this topic.

I never had a problem with a stadium being proposed for the portlands. There are hundreds of hectres of land there. But it's now being pointed out whether it makes sense to build a stadium IF the fans don't stay loyal. Can Toronto support this many teams and are fans really that interested in a NFL team here?

Time will tell.....

This is the most reasonable comment yet on this topic.

I never had a problem with a stadium being proposed for the portlands. There are hundreds of hectres of land there. But it's now being pointed out whether it makes sense to build a stadium IF the fans don't stay loyal. Can Toronto support this many teams and are fans really that interested in a NFL team here?

Time will tell.....

well... the olympics too right... good chance we're getting 2024. incorporating this has been my desire from the very beginning if we ever needed or wanted a stadium... waterfront stadium is nice(undeveloped land).. but waterfront park is nicer... lets do both!

No, we are discussing stadiums on the waterfrone because the mayor thinks it makes sense and might help bring development to the portlands.

Once again, someone doesn't agree with Ford and immediately the name calling starts as well as over the top rhetoric such as calling the man evil. Misguided would have been a better term but on this forum, supposedly liberal minded people have no problem with insulting those with different visions than their own. And the constant attempt to demonize as well.

I'm continually amazed at the pretentiousness and smug attitude that exists on this board where some think only they know how to run society.

Ford is too determined to get away with being called 'misguided'. His actions are clear and intentional. And in my view seriously damaging to the future of they city. And yes, I believe that the Ford's are monsters.

Yeah right, without financial commitment from the city and investment from the private sector..its just a vision, thats all it is.

The investment has been made by government. The private sector phase is just getting under way. Visions are how things get started AG. They are transformed into plans. You can always learn more by attending the public meetings or by getting information directly from Waterfront Toronto. A little information would go a long way for you.

Just to disprove this statement some more:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2011967/
Jays attendance & TV ratings soaring

The Toronto Blue Jays are last in the American League East, but their fans still love them.

Credit convergence as the Jays buck a trend by showing a strong growth in attendance for their home games while most other teams are in decline.

In fact, the Blue Jays are leading all major-league clubs at the gate with a hefty 56.5-per-cent increase in attendance through their first 11 games at the Rogers Centre when compared to the same period last season.

Not only are the Blue Jays attracting more fans to their games, the national TV viewing audience has also experienced a healthy jump to an average of 541,000 a broadcast, up from 437,000 last season.

And this is after ONE off-season that just provided a little bit of hope. We're still predicted to finish last in the division.

Do you realize how insanely high those TV ratings are? They AVERAGE over half a million viewers per game! The Jays are clearly one of the STRONGER baseball markets.

In fact if you look at TV ratings for other clubs it really puts things into perspective. It's a well known fact that the Jays are a cash-cow for Rogers. To be honest I always knew the Jays got good ratings, but I didn't realize it's quite possible they are one of the most-watched teams in all of baseball.

Let's judge the Jay's attendance after a full year....not 11 games!

Yes they get good TV numbers.....as I said before, this is largely due to their TV rights area being the entire country not just Toronto....while this is good business for the Jays and Rogers, it does not mean Toronto is a good baseball market....it means that across the country the Jays get almost as many viewers per game as TSN's Friday night CFL.games get (almost)

Since we had that discussion back then, I have been curiously interested in MLB attendance and hoped that my perception of Jays' attendance was wrong.

As of last night's games, however, there are 5 of the 30 teams in MLB who are averaging less than 20k a game. The Jays being one of them.

The team that I compared them to earlier in the thread (the Brewers) are averaging 33,469 and are one of the 11 teams already through the million mark in attendance (Jays are at 571k after one less home game).

I am yet to be convinced that this is, in fact, a decent baseball town.

I am yet to be convinced that this is, in fact, a decent baseball town.

And the fact that we have more people watching our games than virtually every other team in the league means nothing to you?

Yes ticket sales are low, but they are acceptable considering the position we are in. When we are a competing team, people will show up - it's as simple as that (because we ARE a decent baseball town).

The jays are 2.5 games out of a wildcard spot...is that a position worthy of the 5th lowest attendance (in one of the largest, by population) and wealthiest (with, arguably, the best current economy in MLB) markets?......how much more competitive do they have to be before the baseball fans show up?

They can quit losing to Kansas for starters. Though I've been to 5 games already this season, so no one can accuse me of not being supportive.

You must have been born in 1994.
I'd bet on '95 -- the Jays tied for last in MLB that year.

Despite the fact that IMO the GTA sports media fawns over the Jays disproportionately to the team's actual popularity, the Jays are in the same position as the Argos and the Raptors -- fighting for scraps after the Leafs leave the table.

Back