Obviously they meant 2024 ...
Well there goes my Dec 20th open date for Cherry St as well saying Commissioner wouldn't open this year. I guess they want to open both at the same time as well remove the Cherry St lift bridge that was plan on being remove by the end of this year. Cherry is more than enough ready to be open by end of next week now, once the fencing is up.

Lets hope its not a real bitter winter day for the opening.

If so, your vantage location will record he event for us along with your super lens. Thanks.

Well there goes my Dec 20th open date for Cherry St as well saying Commissioner wouldn't open this year. I guess they want to open both at the same time as well remove the Cherry St lift bridge that was plan on being remove by the end of this year. Cherry is more than enough ready to be open by end of next week now, once the fencing is up.

Lets hope its not a real bitter winter day for the opening.

If so, your vantage location will record he event for us along with your super lens. Thanks.
I was thinking a before Holiday opening as well ! Oh well, let's see what transpires. If in January, let's hope for a mild opening !

The fence, in perspective.

_MG_9914.jpg

Why not open Cherry first? It's all ready to go. Then do Commish later.
Best to open both at once because a lot of traffic now uses Cherry to reach Villiers and go (or come from) east. Getting to Villiers (which is a construction site) from (or to) new Cherry is not without 'challenges' and FAR better to wait a few more days (or even weeks) to open both New Cherry and Commissioners at same time and close Villiers to through traffic at the new Don river channel they are busily excavating. Patience!

Last edited:
Best to open both at once because a lot of traffic now uses Cherry to reach Villiers and go(or come from) east. Getting to Villiers (which is a construction site) from (or to) new Cherry is not without 'challenges' and FAR better to wait a few more days (or even weeks) to open both New Cherry and Commissioners at same time and close Villiers to through traffic at the new Don river channel they are busily excavating. Patience!
Traffic at times along current Cherry can be very bad from Front to Polson, esp. for weekend Rebel events (that night club) and of course during the Distillery market, never mind the heavy equip't vehicles weekdays.

This Road restriction was posted recently and may mean the switch is hapening today and tomorrow??

Lake Shore Blvd E 100m east of Cherry St to Carlaw Ave.​

Id:R7309434
Closure
Type:Hazard
Time Frame:Continuous
Until:December 18, 2023
Hours:8:00 am to 6:00 am
Severity Impact:Major

Last edited:
WT wants to make sure both areas are fenced off from the public to prevent them from wandering into areas they could get hurt or fall in to water as a safety concern.

Cherry is more ready fence wise compared to Commissioner.

The amount of traffic using Villiers is small compared to the cycle community. Since traffic can't access the Lake Shore for most of the year, they are forced to use Villiers to get to/from the areas they need to be at.

This Road restriction was posted recently and may mean the switch is hapening today and tiomorrow??

Lake Shore Blvd E 100m east of Cherry St to Carlaw Ave.​

Id:R7309434
Closure
Type:Hazard
Time Frame:Continuous
Until:December 18, 2023
Hours:8:00 am to 6:00 am
Severity Impact:Major
Call it and hope they put up barriers to prevent eastbound trying to get to the DVP. Will have to put up barriers across the westbound bridge to prevent driver trying to use it, especially after it remove along with the RR bridge.

Eastbound traffic will be happy to have a smooth road to drive on compared to the current rough ride today.

WT wants to make sure both areas are fenced off from the public to prevent them from wandering into areas they could get hurt or fall in to water as a safety concern.

Cherry is more ready fence wise compared to Commissioner.

The amount of traffic using Villiers is small compared to the cycle community. Since traffic can't access the Lake Shore for most of the year, they are forced to use Villiers to get to/from the areas they need to be at.
As much of the land on both sides of New Cherry north of Lake Shore up to Commissioners is NOT part of the Lower Don park area, the majority of the fencing they are erecting on both sides of New Cherry north of Lake Shore is more 'permanent' and the posts are being sunk in concrete. I think the fencing on south side of Commissioners will be temporary as (sooner than later) we will be able to walk into the new park from south side of Commissioners. They are making good progress with the 'permanent' fencing and the temporary fencing can be erected very fast.

Amazing that this critical road is opening soon!

So now I am wondering where this leaves development applications along Lower Cherry? Is there a ‘H’ on these lands? What happens next? Does this affect Basin Media Studios?

As for the tree in the photo, I hope the trees they are planting won't die off like so many have along "upper" Cherry / the loop / Mill / Canary.
Most of the street trees you mention are NOT planted with silva cells and are in 'concrete coffins. Most if not all the WDL trees are in soil or with silva cells - they stand a FAR better chance of survival.

Amazing that this critical road is opening soon!

So now I am wondering where this leaves development applications along Lower Cherry? Is there a ‘H’ on these lands? What happens next? Does this affect Basin Media Studios?
The Basin Media Studios are south of Commissioners and work proceeds: See https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...ub-21m-5s-hackman-capital-partners-som.32891/ .

The development on Old Cherry ( https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...151-35m-47s-castlepoint-numa-svn.18586/page-7 ) is at OLT.

Back