The City has plans to relocate them to the "Concrete Campus" at west side of Leslie Street and Ship Channel. There is some hint that a settlement may have been reached, see https://secure.toronto.ca/council/agenda-item.do?item=2020.CC22.9

That said, the Lafarge plant is really not too disruptive and a relic of our industrial past!

So who is going to be the very first Urban Toronto'er to drive across all 3 bridges with photographic evidence of said trip when they open tomorrow or Wednesday?

I say drum118 or globalexpress will have us all beat.
It will be very difficult for me to get Wednesday off work. Those who can and do make it for the inaugural opening / crossing of ... looking forward to hearing their experience and photos posted thereof ! It'll be balcony shots of Cherry and perhaps an evening walk with camera and tripod depending on the weather. I really cannot wait to get a closer look of the bridges lit up !

Last edited:
I totally agree. Maybe if it were a tannery or a slaughterhouse, but otherwise it's fine.
That's more of a further up the food chain process to which most humans are guilty of...and not just one of being urban. To which is all fun and games until we ourselves fall in some body of water camped out by saltwater crocodiles...

...so yeah, Bovine University 101 here. >.<

$24 million to remove sludge on the bottom of a channel? Argh. That's wild.
There's a 'sludge backlog' as no dredging has been possible in the Keating Channel since the Cherry Bridge has not been able to be raised since 2019.

$24 million to remove sludge on the bottom of a channel? Argh. That's wild.
Won’t the sludge build up with less flow in the future? Assuming one of the two paths will form a plug at some point. Leave it as is. There, saved an other 24 million.😊 Let’s hope the plug doesn’t form at the new double bridge and all the water flows through the old channel.

Wait, we could have saved a lot more money. 😊

Won’t the sludge build up with less flow in the future? Assuming one of the two paths will form a plug at some point. Leave it as is. There, saved an other 24 million.😊 Let’s hope the plug doesn’t form at the new double bridge and all the water flows through the old channel.

Wait, we could have saved a lot more money. 😊
I think the new 'debris' area just north of Lake Shore is supposed to catch sludge too.

1705965585109.png

Talking to a white hat a few hours ago, it was said we are trying for Tueday. He was showing workers what to about the frence at Lake Shore. Saw few workers around for the road. Have a feeling Wed is the day. Huge trafic sign setup east of Jarvis

Thanks! So if one wanted to be there at the opening you show up at 12:00 Tuesday night?
Even then it may not happen. The opening date has been a moving target since early 2023 that has seen many dates come and go. I have been saying since spring that the roads would not open in 2023 and dead on the mark.

As I walked back to Cherry St to get some nighttime shots like I did for the daylight today, since I could not do it on Sunday as plan, spotted the sign on the Lake Shore with the 24th date now. There is a huge sign east of Sherbourne not Jarvis as I last posted that will flash the New Cherry St is now open from my point of view for eastbound traffic. None of the 3 display notices said anything about the Lift bridge access being closed on the 24th now.

New traffic lights at Munition that are not turned on yet and the crosswalk lights at X on Commissioner went in the last few days.

There is a tent over the cycles path east of Cherry St and no idea what going on or will it begone by the 24th. The missing section pf the south path is now in place at Cherry St.

You have 13 seconds to cross both lanes of the Lake Shore that most people, including me, had to use two lights to do it.

On the cycle sign for the closing of Villiers east of Munition, a fresh label has been added saying it will close early Jan and only noticed it tonight after walking by it several times this year.

There is a tent over the cycles path east of Cherry St and no idea what going on or will it begone by the 24th. The missing section pf the south path is now in place at Cherry St.
They have been creating a new hydro vault at the SW corner of Old Cherry & Commissioners for many weeks (after more overhead hydro work ON Old Cherry. I doubt it will be finished this week (or month) but the cycle path on Old Cherry will soon be 'surplus'. They are also working on water connections on west side of New Cherry just south of Commissioners and have not yet hooked up al the lighting on the southern Cherry bridge. No doubt there will be lots of small work sites scattered through the whole area for most of 2024.

Well, THIS should excite some of us!

Be The First​

Make history with us the afternoon of January 24 at Cherry Street North Bridge and Commissioners Street Bridge. A thrilling challenge that invites you to cross the new Port Lands bridges in the most imaginative way possible! Whether you choose to repurpose your Halloween costume, create a new outfit for the occasion, or even moonwalk your way across, this is your chance to pioneer a unique bridge-crossing experience. Show us your creativity by posting a photo and tagging us @waterfront.to or using the hashtag #PortLandsTO.

The Lookout​

An observatory tower where you can see the Port Lands like never before! Drop in anytime Wednesday from 2 p.m. - 5 p.m. The Lookout provides a view of all 3 bridges and a glimpse into the future of the Port Lands. Share your view from The Lookout at the Cherry Street South Bridge by posting a photo and tagging us @waterfront.to or using the hashtag #PortLandsTO. Find out more details here: The Lookout - Waterfront Toronto (portlandsto.ca)

Back