Passed by the Port Lands on a Via train into Union this evening and saw some mobile crane parts (seemed to be luffing jib sections and y-guys) on flatbed trailers in a parking lot at the corner of Lake Shore and Cherry, anyone know if this is related to the current construction or maybe demo of the old Keating channel bridge?

Passed by the Port Lands on a Via train into Union this evening and saw some mobile crane parts (seemed to be luffing jib sections and y-guys) on flatbed trailers in a parking lot at the corner of Lake Shore and Cherry, anyone know if this is related to the current construction or maybe demo of the old Keating channel bridge?
They have been there for several weeks and that area has been used for general construction storage before. They look like crane sections and I doubt anything to do with Lower Don.

Old Cherry Bridge is going, going... but not gone.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.33.17 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.33.51 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.35.30 PM.jpg

Will be interesting to see how they redo this intersection now that it's no longer an intersection...
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.35.41 PM.jpg

Old Cherry Bridge is going, going... but not gone.

View attachment 552099
View attachment 552100
View attachment 552101

Will be interesting to see how they redo this intersection now that it's no longer an intersection...View attachment 552102
They have done very little since I saw it a week ago and was expecting to see the bridge gone today. Most of the work has been removing the concrete on the southside of the bridge.

If one looks closely at the bottom left hand of the third photo from the top, it shows how much of the right-side break wall will have to be removed and a new one that will have to be built to line up the break wall on either side of the bridge. This will improve the flow of the channel a lot better.

As for the intersection, it will be removed along with the existing Lake Shore existing lanes when the new alignment is built as planned.

I heard that there's an infestation of more-than-usual swans this year. I did see them swimming at Sugar Beach a week or two ago, which is fairly rare. Is this something that's happening?

I heard that there's an infestation of more-than-usual swans this year. I did see them swimming at Sugar Beach a week or two ago, which is fairly rare. Is this something that's happening?

That depends, in part, on which swans you're seeing. The native (Trumpeter) or the non-native (Mute)

Though both are increasing in numbers, the mute swan is likely increasing more quickly in Ontario and represents a threat to the fullsome reestablishment of Trumpeters.

Ontario is likely home to 3,000 Trumpeters

Mute Swans are probably a bit higher than that, I'm not sure what their growth rate is here now, but it was in the 10-15% a few years ago.

Telling them apart is quite easy, the native ones have a 100% black bill vs the mute swans significant orange.

Back